Brigadier held in defence canteen scamJuly 3rd, 2012 - 7:58 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, July 3 (IANS) An army brigadier was arrested by the CBI in connection with a corruption racket, involving employees of the canteen stores department (CSD) of the defence ministry and a private company, an official said here Tuesday.
Brigadier Anuj Kainthla, CSD joint general manager-I, has been charged with accepting a bribe of Rs.7.50 lakh from Sankalp Consumer Products Pvt. Ltd. (SCPPL), which he ploughed into realty in Panchkula.
According to the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), he took favourable decisions at various stages like introduction of consumer items, price revisions and issuing supply orders which benefited SCPPL.
Kainthla was presented before a special court which remanded him to CBI custody till July 5, the official said.
This is the latest arrest in the racket busted by the CBI June 30 in Mumbai when CSD Joint General Manager Bikas Ranjan Daschaudhary was nabbed while accepting a bribe from officials of SCPPL.
Three SCPPL officials Milind Govilkar, Vilas Harer and Manohar Vibhute were also arrested.
Govilkar and officials of the CSD allegedly conspired to manipulate the requirements of the stores which benefitted SCPPL’s interests.
The CBI carried out raids at 20 places around the country at the official and private residences during the probe.
Headquartered in Mumbai, the CSD operates five regional offices, 34 depots and 3,825 canteen (stores) all over India to provide consumer goods to serving and retired defence personnel.
- Defence canteen scam: Four accused in CBI custody - Jul 01, 2012
- CBI arrests four for defence canteen racket - Jul 01, 2012
- Audit finds lapses in defence canteen operations - Aug 13, 2010
- Civilians of unit run canteens of defence forces allege mismanagement - Mar 19, 2010
- CBI arrests two officials for graft - Jun 02, 2011
- Retired judge's daughter nabbed on graft charge - Oct 14, 2011
- Defence academy chief shifted over recruitment scam (Lead) - Jul 04, 2012
- Army fully cooperating in Adarsh scam: Army Chief - Jan 06, 2011
- After bribe revelations, Army chief talks about army welfare - Mar 31, 2012
- CBI arrests two PNB officials accepting bribe - Jul 29, 2012
- CBI nabs 4 customs officials for taking bribe - Jun 06, 2012
- PAC quizzes army, air force chiefs on canteen irregularities - Jan 12, 2011
- Assistant drug controller arrested for bribery - Jun 22, 2012
- Not aware of PAC letter over canteen irregularities: Army chief - Jan 06, 2011
- Army, IAF chiefs to appear before PAC over canteen irregularities - Jan 08, 2011
Tags: anuj, bribe, brigadier, canteen, cbi, central bureau of investigation, consumer goods, corruption, csd, defence ministry, harer, lakh, manohar, panchkula, private company, private residences, pvt ltd, regional offices, revisions, vilas