Bridges, houses collapse in heavy rains in JharkhandSeptember 24th, 2011 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, Sep 24 (IANS) Two bridges and several houses collapsed and farm lands were inundated in half a dozen districts of Jharkhand following incessant rains over the past four days, an official here said Saturday.
A bridge constructed over Auranga river at Ketki village of Palamau district was washed away Saturday. Three people were reported missing in the accident and the local district administration personnel were trying to trace them, an official said.
A bridge, over the Tahele river, connecting Jharkhand with Uttar Pradesh and Chhattisgarh also collapsed in Garwah district late Friday.
Several houses have collapsed in Palamau, Garwah, Gumla, Ranchi and other districts of the state. In Ranchi, a government building collapsed Friday night, injuring three labourers.
The incessant rains have submerged farm lands as well as houses in many parts of the state.
In low-lying areas of Ranchi, rain water entered many houses, forcing residents to move to safer places.
According to weather department officials, Jharkhand received more rainfall than the average. Against 1,300 to 1,400 mm rainfall, Jharkhahd has received more than 1,700 mm rainfall this season.
“The rainfall is continuing due to low pressure area formed in the state. The low pressure area is now shifting toward north-west direction” said G.K. Mohanty, director of Jharkhand meteorological office.
Jharkhand is likely to witness rainfall for the next two days (Sunday and Monday) too, he said.
- Rivers above danger-mark, parts of Jharkhand flooded - Jun 20, 2011
- Large tracts of Jharkhand flooded after rains - Aug 12, 2011
- Three new river bridges collapse in Jharkhand rains - Jun 21, 2011
- Crops damaged in two Jharkhand districts - Sep 12, 2011
- Widespread rains in Andhra revive farmers' hopes - Jul 21, 2012
- 17 killed as rains create havoc in Pakistan - Sep 09, 2012
- Heavy rains lash Mumbai, Thane; four drown - Jul 30, 2011
- Heavy rain boosts paddy sowing in Jharkhand - Jul 13, 2010
- Heavy rains hit life in Chhattisgarh, six killed - Jul 26, 2010
- Hundreds of tourists stranded in Himachal Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Heavy rains disrupt rail, road traffic in Mumbai - Aug 27, 2012
- Monsoon hits life in Jharkhand - Jun 19, 2011
- Rains disrupt Maharashtra-Gujarat train services - Aug 01, 2011
- Farm land inundated in Haryana's Yamunanagar - Jul 15, 2011
- 40 landmines recovered in Jharkhand - Feb 01, 2012
Tags: administration personnel, bridge, collapse, department officials, district administration, farm lands, friday night, half a dozen, heavy rains, incessant rains, local district, meteorological office, mohanty, pressure area, rain water, rainfall, ranchi, several houses, two bridges, west direction