Bridge gap between academia, industry: IGNOUNovember 9th, 2011 - 7:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Nov 9 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) organised a day-long summit here Wednesday to bridge the gap between academia and industries.
‘Academia-Corporate interface for upskilling leaders of tomorrow’ was organised by IGNOU’s School of Social Sciences (SOSS) in collaboration with the PHD Chamber of Commerce and Industry, a statement said.
“IGNOU, with flexible packages of learning, can provide a platform for industry and academia. Such interaction will be helpful to upgrade the skill levels,” SOSS director Gopinath Pradhan said.
“Industry has to come back to the academia and vice versa as proper interaction between the two is less due to lack of working arrangement,” he added.
According to National Skill Development Corporation CEO and MD Dilip Chenoy, very few academicians interact with the industry as the present educational set up does not allow this interface.
“What the students are being taught becomes obsolete due to lack of practical training,” Chenoy said.
“Only certain percentage of the population is employable. The system is disconnected with huge number of seats lying vacant and very small percentage being sent out for training or upskilling,” he added.
To address the issue, Chenoy said, people retiring from companies should be identified as they can be the best trainers and mentors.
“It shall help train, access and certify people… You have to promote a sustainable training system which could bring about a revolution,” he added.
- Gopinath Pradhan is new IGNOU vice-chancellor - Aug 01, 2012
- IGNOU teams up with Deutsche Welle - Aug 07, 2012
- Coming up, 100 more skill development centres - May 25, 2012
- Tackling the 'graduate but unemployable' syndrome in India - Jan 25, 2012
- '14 million job seekers to move out of northeast by 2021' - Jan 23, 2012
- Dilip Chenoy to head National Skill Development Corporation - Mar 30, 2010
- A joint venture to train over two million in diverse skills - Dec 21, 2010
- CEOs forum for skills development launched - Sep 07, 2012
- IGNOU course for BPO industry aspirants - Jun 21, 2012
- IGNOU to concentrate more on research activities - Sep 12, 2012
- 'Education system not keeping pace with evolving technology' - Sep 06, 2012
- 'Power To Empower' contest aims to sharpen entrepreneurial skills - Sep 13, 2012
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- Security in neighbourhood cause for concern: Antony - Sep 14, 2011
- IGNOU to offer courses in warehousing, accounting - Aug 10, 2011
Tags: academia industry, bridge gap, chamber of commerce, chamber of commerce and industry, corporate interface, dilip, flexible packages, gap, gopinath, ignou, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, leaders of tomorrow, mentors, national open university, New Delhi, practical training, proper interaction, skill development, skill levels