Bribery row: BJP demands Antony’s resignationMarch 30th, 2012 - 10:09 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 30 (IANS) Upping pressure on the government over Indian Army chief Gen. V.K. Singh’s allegation that he was offered bribe to clear Tatra truck contracts, the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Friday demanded Defence Minister A.K. Antony’s resignation over the controversial issue.
“If the probe in Tatra trucks is continuing from 2009 to 2011, if it is not completed in two years, then this government and this defence minister are trying to cover up corruption,” BJP leader Prakash Javadekar (BJP) told the Rajya Sabha while raising the issue during question hour.
“If you are patronising corruption, you have no right to remain in power. The defence minister should resign,” he said.
Javadekar rejected Antony’s contention that he could not act on the army chief’s information on bribe offer as there was no written complaint and claimed that a written complaint did exist.
He informed the house that union minister Ghulam Nabi Azad had written a letter to the defence minister two years ago demanding a probe into the matter.
He contended that the defence ministry had even informed Azad that the probe was going on and demanded that the contents of the findings should be made public.
Javadekar also wanted to know what action was taken and who were found guilty.
- BJP seeks Antony's resignation - Mar 30, 2012
- Antony shielding the corrupt: BJP - Mar 31, 2012
- Army chief sounds conciliatory, BJP demands Antony quit (Roundup) - Mar 30, 2012
- Antony says he acted on BEML irregularities - Mar 30, 2012
- CBI case against British firm owner for Tatra bribe offer - Apr 26, 2012
- Tatra scam: CBI grills Tejinder for 6 hours (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Army chief didn't want to pursue bribe offer case: Antony (Roundup) - Mar 27, 2012
- Antony asks DPSUs to maintain transparency - Apr 12, 2012
- Clean chit to Tatra trucks after army chief's allegations - Mar 26, 2012
- CBI questions BEML chief in Tatra trucks case (Lead) - Apr 17, 2012
- Army chief didn't want to pursue bribe matter: Antony (Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- I also informed Antony on Tatra trucks: Jabalpur MP - Apr 05, 2012
- Army chief didn't want to pursue bribe matter: Antony (Second Lead) - Mar 27, 2012
- Army chief raises graft stinker, Antony orders CBI probe (Roundup) - Mar 26, 2012
- Tatra deal: CBI searches homes of former army officers - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: allegation, antony, army chief, bharatiya janata party, bjp, bribe, bribery, contention, contracts, controversial issue, corruption, defence minister, defence ministry, ghulam nabi azad, indian army, New Delhi, rajya sabha, resignation, tatra trucks, union minister