Brazil’s World Cup-winning coach in demandApril 17th, 2012 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, April 17 (IANS) Brazil’s 2002 World Cup-winning coach Luiz Felipe Scolari says he has been approached by Colombia and “two Asian teams” to coach them for the 2014 football World Cup.
Scolari, currently in charge of Brazilian club Palmeiras, did not reveal the identity of the Asian teams but said he had not been made an official offer.
He revealed former Colombia and Palmeiras striker Faustino Asprilla had invited him to talk with the Colombian federation.
“Faustino spoke to me twice and later we agreed to meet with the Colombian federation,” Scolari was quoted as saying by Xinhua. “But I have got a deal with Palmeiras which makes it difficult. We decided to leave it.”
Scolari, whose contract with Palmeiras expires at the end of the year, has expressed his desire to coach for the 2014 tournament.
In recent weeks, Brazil’s media has identified the 63-year-old as the logical successor to current coach Mano Menezes - should Mano be sacked.
Scolari said he would happily accept a return to his old role but was quick to add the current coach was doing a “good job”.
“He has been trying some new things but when he has all of his players available he will have a very strong team,” Scolari said.
- Scolari says he is 'unwanted' for 2014 World Cup - Aug 25, 2012
- Menezes' position in jeopardy after Brazil's Olympic loss - Aug 13, 2012
- Palmeiras sack coach Scolari - Sep 14, 2012
- Flamengo threatens to sue Palmeiras - Jun 03, 2012
- Palmeiras deny talk of Scolari exit - May 22, 2012
- Palmeiras defeats Coritiba to win Copa do Brasil - Jul 12, 2012
- Brazil sacks coach Dunga, three others - Jul 05, 2010
- Brazil's Olympic team rubbish: Romario - Jul 06, 2012
- Brazil coach Menezes vows to win 2014 World Cup - Apr 09, 2012
- Ronaldinho's debut for Atletico Mineiro debut put off - Jun 07, 2012
- Hulk in Brazil's starting line-up against China - Sep 10, 2012
- Chelsea star Luiz out of Brazil friendlies - May 26, 2012
- Ronaldinho's Atletico Mineiro debut postponed - Jun 06, 2012
- 2014 World Cup title a must for Brazil: Coach Parreira - Apr 03, 2012
- Brazil captain Silva ruled out - Sep 02, 2012
Tags: asian teams, brazil, coach, colombia, colombian federation, desire, faustino asprilla, felipe scolari, football world cup, good job, logical successor, mano, menezes, palmeiras, rio de janeiro, s media, striker, xinhua