Brazilian abducts daughter, steals plane and crashes into mallMarch 14th, 2009 - 1:23 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 13 (DPA) A Brazilian man suspected of having raped a teenage girl attacked his wife, abducted his five-year-old daughter in a stolen airplane and crashed on the parking lot of a shopping mall.
The crash Thursday at the shopping mall in the city of Goiania, near Brasilia, initially put the Brazilian Air Force (FAB) on alert, thinking it was a terrorist attack similar to that perpetrated on Sep 11, 2001 in the US.
The man and his child died in the crash of the single-engine plane.
Police chief Jorge Moreira said that the man’s erratic behaviour in the air indicated he did intend to hurt people on the ground. But none of the 5,000 people at the Flamboyant mall at the time of the crash was hurt.
In an official statement, the FAB said it deployed a Mirage-2000 fighter-plane to protect security areas in Brasilia and then sent a Tucano plane in an effort to intercept the machine that had been stolen from an aeroclub in Luziania, 56 km away from Brazil’s federal capital.
Police in the state of Goias were investigating whether the man crashed the plane on purpose or it fell to the ground due to a lack of fuel.
Preliminary reports say the man forced his wife and daughter to go with him for a drive. On the road to the Luziania aeroclub, he beat up his wife and threw her out of the car.
Then, he made as if he was renting the plane with a pilot, saying he wanted to fly over Brasilia with his daughter, only to then attack the pilot and steal the machine.
Before the fatal crash, the man performed acrobatics several times over densely populated areas, which according to Moreira indicated his intention of a random attack on human life.
“He hijacked the plane with the clear intention of causing a tragedy. He was not planning to throw flowers. He directly aimed the plane at the shopping mall,” Moreira said.
- Brazilian man crashes stolen plane into shopping mall - Mar 13, 2009
- Six dead as plane crashes in Brazil - Jan 16, 2011
- Seven people beheaded at Brazilian farm - May 01, 2012
- Fighter jet crashes in Belarus - Jun 13, 2012
- Brazil Senate moves to expel lawmaker linked to crime - May 09, 2012
- The lunch date with parents that was never to be - May 15, 2012
- Brazilian cadet dies in ejection from plane - Jun 06, 2012
- Brazil's Embraer to begin building drones - Sep 09, 2011
- Al Qaeda planned to attack Gibraltar during Olympics - Aug 06, 2012
- Car thieves spare Brazil soccer icon - Aug 17, 2011
- Brazilian arrested for raping, killing six teens - Apr 12, 2010
- Brazil asks US for transfer of military technology - Apr 25, 2012
- Poland dismisses air force officials after plane crash report - Aug 05, 2011
- Pilot delays plane so man can bid last farewell to grandson - Jan 13, 2011
- Brazil plane crash leaves 16 dead - Jul 14, 2011