Brazil to distribute 20 mn female condomsMarch 21st, 2012 - 11:37 am ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, March 21 (IANS/EFE) The Brazilian health ministry announced Tuesday that it has acquired 20 million female condoms that will be distributed free to the people, mainly among women considered to be most vulnerable to sexually transmitted diseases.
The “third generation” condoms cost 27.3 million reais ($15.2 million) and are made of nitrile latex, according to a health ministry communique.
Brazil began distributing female condoms free in 1997 and through 2011 it had acquired 16 million of them, some 25 percent fewer than the number that will be distributed this year alone.
The free distribution of male condoms was begun long before that and just last year 493 million units were distributed, 45 percent more than in 2010.
The campaigns are part of Brazil’s anti-AIDS policy, which is considered to be a model by the UN and also includes the free distribution of the medications needed by people who have the disease.
Health authorities will begin distributing the female condoms in May, taking into account the criteria for vulnerability to STDs, a prioritization measure that will mainly benefit sex workers, victims of domestic violence, drug addicts and women who live with carriers of the HIV virus.
Also, women who have difficulty convincing their partners to use male condoms will receive the female condoms on a priority basis.
According to a 2008 health ministry survey, 90 percent of sexually active Brazilian women are familiar with or have heard about the female condom.
- Eyeing small town India, subsidised condom set to be trendier - Jun 25, 2012
- Plan to build electric motorcycles in Brazil - Aug 09, 2011
- Brazil threatens Spanish firm with $10 mn fine - Jul 21, 2012
- New Version of Female Condoms Released for HIV Prevention - Jul 30, 2010
- Chevron faces $25 mn fine for Brazil oil spill - Jul 20, 2012
- Brazil importing Spanish defence technology - Aug 24, 2012
- Mexican telecom giant to invest $5.4 bn in Brazil - Dec 28, 2011
- 11-year-olds in US can now order condoms via mail - Apr 15, 2011
- Philadelphia parents disgusted that 11 year olds are being given condoms - Apr 18, 2011
- Higher benefits won't spark baby boom: Brazil president - Oct 12, 2011
- Brazilian to return $234 mn in looted public money - Aug 24, 2012
- Brazilian president gets flu vaccination - Apr 26, 2011
- Sex mad backpackers behind STDs crisis Down Under - Mar 28, 2010
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Female condom fails to gain popularity - Jul 03, 2012
Tags: aids policy, brazilian women, drug addicts, female condom, female condoms, free distribution, health authorities, health ministry, hiv virus, latex, male condoms, march 21, medications, ministry survey, priority basis, rio de janeiro, sex workers, third generation, victims of domestic violence, vulnerability