Brazil busts $625 mn tax-evasion racketAugust 18th, 2011 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Aug 18 (IANS/EFE) A racket that allowed nearly 300 Brazilian firms to evade 1 billion reais ($625 million) in taxes was dismantled Wednesday, authorities said.
“Operation Alchemy” involved arrests, searches and asset seizures in 18 of Brazil’s 27 states, Federal Police said.
The sweep followed a nine-year-long investigation by a federal judge, who ordered 31 people jailed, another 63 detained for questioning and the freezing of the assets of 195 companies and 62 individuals.
The suspects will face charges of tax evasion, money laundering, forgery and criminal conspiracy.
Some of the firms involved in the alleged fraud have their headquarters in offshore tax havens such as the British Virgin Islands.
Among the assets seized or frozen are industrial plants, aircraft, boats, luxury autos and a private island off the coast of the northeastern city of Salvador.
While Brazil’s tax agency estimated the amount of taxes evaded at 1 billion reais, Federal Police said the actual sum could be larger.
The head of Federal Police in Minas Gerais state, Fernando Duran, said the ring established shell companies to generate phony transactions with the legitimate chemical firms taking part in the scheme.
- Fiat to build $1.7 bn car factory in Brazil - Dec 15, 2010
- Mexican bottler to build $140 mn plant in Brazil - Dec 07, 2011
- Brazil's economy grows at fastest clip in 15 months - Aug 18, 2012
- Brazil busts human trafficking ring - Nov 19, 2010
- Brazil to invest $2.4 bn in gold production - Nov 21, 2011
- Brazilian masterminds art thefts from behind bars - Jul 17, 2012
- 16 killed as power line falls during Brazil carnival - Mar 01, 2011
- Mexican telecom giant to invest $5.4 bn in Brazil - Dec 28, 2011
- Brazilian lawmaker sentenced to prison for corruption - Sep 29, 2010
- Cisco to invest $545 mn in Brazil - Apr 04, 2012
- Brazil to invest $17 bn in urban transport projects - Oct 18, 2011
- Remains of 10,000-year-old giant sloth found - Oct 30, 2011
- Brazilian to return $234 mn in looted public money - Aug 24, 2012
- No doubt lawmakers took bribes: Brazilian judge - Sep 18, 2012
- Brazil threatens Spanish firm with $10 mn fine - Jul 21, 2012
Tags: 1 billion, alchemy, assets, british virgin islands, criminal conspiracy, federal judge, federal police, fernando duran, forgery, industrial plants, luxury autos, minas gerais, money laundering, northeastern city, offshore tax havens, private island, rio de janeiro, seizures, shell companies, tax evasion