Brand Rahul does not exist, says BJPSeptember 12th, 2012 - 8:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) The Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) Wednesday targeted Congress general secretary Rahul Gandhi for remaining “silent” on corruption issues and claimed that the “Brand Rahul” did not exist.
BJP spokesperson Rajiv Pratap Rudy said that he did not hear Rahul Gandhi speak on issues of price rise and corruption, including the raging controversy over coal blocks allocation.
Answering queries about an article pertaining to Gandhi in a foreign magazine, Rudy claimed the Congress general secretary did not speak on the 2G spectrum scam although former communications minister A. Raja went to jail in connection with it.
He said the coal blocks allocation controversy has been doing the rounds for almost a month but Gandhi preferred not to speak on it.
“It has been about a month or so (since the coal block allocation controversy has been making headlines). (But) Never heard him say (anything) about the coalgate. That’s why Brand Rahul does not exist,” Rudy said.
The BJP spokesperson added that whether Gandhi, 42, should assume a bigger role in the Congress was for the Congress party to decide.
“When person is not fit at 42, (based on) what assessment will he be fit at 52? One does not know… Congress has to decide,” Rudy said.
On what kind of fitness he was referring to, Rudy said: “Political, administrative and mental (fitness)”.
It has been speculated that Gandhi would assume a larger role in the Congress and the government, or both, in coming days to improve the party’s electoral prospects in the 2014 general elections.
Senior Congress leader Digvijay Singh had also indicated that Gandhi could assume a bigger role as early as this month.
- My good wishes to Rahul, Mulayam now says - Sep 13, 2012
- Will he, won't he? Congress awaits Rahul's next move - Sep 13, 2012
- Rahul Gandhi has failed to make a mark, says BJP - Sep 11, 2012
- Probe money trail in coal scam: BJP (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Will Sonia's combativeness revive Congress? (Comment) - Sep 01, 2012
- Sonia joins Congress-BJP war, parliament crippled (Roundup) - Aug 28, 2012
- Agitation should have targeted PM, says Bedi as rift rumours deepen (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Congress accuses Ramdev, Team Anna of pro-BJP bias - Jun 03, 2012
- Reverse privatisation of minerals: CPI-M - Aug 30, 2012
- Opposition mounts pressure on UPA, Congress hits back (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, block allocation, coal, coalgate, congress leader, congress party, corruption issues, digvijay singh, doing the rounds, electoral prospects, general elections, general secretary, mental fitness, New Delhi, rahul gandhi, raja, rajiv pratap, rudy, spokesperson