Braj temples, streets revel in Holi celebrationsMarch 22nd, 2008 - 7:55 pm ICT by admin
Mathura (Uttar Pradesh), March 22 (IANS) From courtyards of temples in Vrindavan, Mathura and Goverdhan, Holi revelries Saturday spilled over to the lanes and bylanes of the Braj Mandal - an area associated with Lord Krishna - with thousands of people splashing a riot of coloured powder, singing and dancing in groups. “It was a sedate start but as the day began and it got a little warmer groups of people were seen throwing colours and applying gulal to one another,” said Acharya Jaimini Trigunateet, a music scholar from Vrindavan.
“The Vrindavan temples had early darshan, the highlight being the colourful Holi at Bihariji temple. Thousands of pilgrims from distant places had come to witness the Holi of Braj,” he said.
In Mathura right from the Vishram Ghat via the Dwarkadheesh temple to the Holi Gate, revellers were seen dancing and singing with pilgrims joining in.
On Friday evening, Balram and Bishan Panda re-enacted the legend of Prahlad and his aunt Holika in village Falaun’s Prahlad temple.
In Agra, Holi celebrations are now shifting to clubs and banquet halls.
“Earlier groups of people with dholaks and manjiras moved around the colonies and lanes of the city throwing colours at one another. Now it seems to be taking an urban colour as people eat, drink, dance and listen to professional singers, exchanging greetings and smearing gulal. No more street fights and creating scenes,” said Indian People’s Theatre Association (IPTA) national general secretary Jitendra Raghuvanshi.
- Holi revelry picks up momentum in Braj area (With Image) - Mar 15, 2011
- A riot of colours in Vrindavan - Mar 08, 2012
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Where Holi goes on for 50 days - Mar 07, 2012
- Packed with pilgrims, Lord Krishna's land dances to Holi - Mar 01, 2010
- Devotees gather for 'Lath Mar' holi in Barsana - Mar 14, 2011
- Riot of colours as Holi celebrated with gaiety (Intro Roundup) - Mar 08, 2012
- Friendly fight, flower shower - it's Lathmar Holi - Feb 24, 2010
- Holi no longer 'holy': Changing colours of the festival (Feature) - Mar 06, 2012
- Flooded Yamuna brings on Janmashtami fervour in Braj - Sep 01, 2010
- Braj turns yellow on Basant Panchami - Jan 28, 2012
- Holi splashes its colours on India (Roundup) - Mar 01, 2010
- Thousands throng Mathura for Janmashtami - Aug 10, 2012
- Foreign tourists find Braj Mandal Holi extraordinary - Mar 17, 2011
- As Yamuna overflows, Vrindavan celebrates Pulin Utsav - Sep 25, 2010
Tags: banquet halls, bishan, courtyards, distant places, ghat, gulal, holi, holi celebrations, holika, ipta, jaimini, jitendra, lord krishna, music scholar, prahlad, professional singers, revellers, revelries, street fights, vrindavan