BP to pay $7.8 bn to victims of oil spillMarch 5th, 2012 - 11:13 am ICT by IANS
London, March 5 (IANS/EFE) British oil supermajor BP Plc said it has reached an out-of-court settlement estimated at $7.8 billion with victims of the 2010 Gulf of Mexico oil spill.
In a statement, the company said the money will be paid from a $20 billion trust set up after the April 2010 explosion of the Deepwater Horizon rig and subsequent spill, which lasted for three months and was the largest in US history.
BP, however, stressed that the proposed settlement is not an “admission of liability” by the company.
A trial in the case had been scheduled to begin Monday, but US District Judge Carl Barbier in New Orleans has postponed it without setting a new date.
“From the beginning, BP stepped up to meet our obligations to the communities in the Gulf Coast region, and we’ve worked hard to deliver on that commitment for nearly two years,” Bob Dudley, BP Group CEO, said Saturday.
“The proposed settlement represents significant progress toward resolving issues from the Deepwater Horizon accident and contributing further to economic and environmental restoration efforts along the Gulf Coast.”
Dudley replaced Tony Hayward as head of BP in the wake of the oil spill.
The beneficiaries of the settlement include fishermen who lost their livelihood in the wake of the oil disaster.
Even after the settlement with businesses and individuals, BP still faces lawsuits filed by the US government and the Gulf Coast states.
Eleven oil workers were killed in the explosion, while the spill had a devastating environmental impact in the Gulf region.
Poor management decisions by BP Plc at its Macondo well in the Gulf of Mexico were the main causes of last year’s disastrous oil spill, US agencies said last September.
A joint report by the Coast Guard and the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement cited as the main cause of the April 20, 2010, disaster “BP’s cost- or time-saving decisions without considering contingencies and mitigation”.
BP has paid some $7.5 billion to date to cover clean-up costs in the Gulf region.
- US blames BP's poor decisions for Gulf oil spill - Sep 15, 2011
- BP has paid $5 bn to people affected by oil spill - Aug 24, 2011
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- BP reaches oil spill deal - Mar 03, 2012
- Disastrous BP oil well finally killed - Sep 20, 2010
- BP seeks to resume drilling in Gulf of Mexico - Apr 04, 2011
- Legal fight between Kevin Costner and Stephen Baldwin over BP deal for oil spill clean-up device - Jun 05, 2012
- US to hold major auction of oil and gas leases - Dec 15, 2011
- "Poor safety culture" onboard Deepwater Horizon led to last year's massive Gulf oil spill - Apr 23, 2011
- BP chief executive Tony Hayward to step down (Lead) - Jul 25, 2010
- Obama recalls the 11 killed in BP disaster - Apr 21, 2011
- US orders BP to submit oil well cap release plan - Jul 19, 2010
- BP Gulf of Mexico oil spill well now "effectively dead" - Sep 20, 2010
- BP's 'cost-cutting decisions' blamed for 'avoidable' Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Jan 06, 2011
- BP announces hiring of disaster management and consulting firm - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: barbier, bp plc, british oil, court settlement, energy management, environmental restoration, group ceo, gulf coast states, gulf of mexico, gulf of mexico oil, gulf of mexico oil spill, london march, macondo, management regulation, new date, ocean energy, oil disaster, oil workers, poor management decisions, restoration efforts