BP has paid $5 bn to people affected by oil spillAugust 24th, 2011 - 11:57 am ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 24 (IANS/EFE) BP Plc. so far has paid $5 billion to people who were affected by the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico after the explosion of a drilling platform in those waters in April 2010.
The Gulf Coast Claims Facility, the independent entity created in August 2010 to administer BP’s indemnification fund, Tuesday issued a report covering its first year of activity.
The GCCF reported that during this past year it received 947,892 claims, of which 97 percent have been processed and a total of 204,434 claimants already have been paid.
The claimants come from all 50 states, but mainly from the five in the region of the Gulf of Mexico: Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas, all of them tourist and fishing zones that were affected by the spill.
The state that has received the most payments has been Florida, with $2 billion, followed by Louisiana with $1.52 billion and Alabama with $862 million.
Over the past three months, 61,558 claims have been received from new claimants and others whose initial claims were rejected and who are refiling, and the weekly claims volume has been 4,397, on average.
The processing of the documents received to date and the payments will take until August 2013.
The Gulf oil spill, considered to be the worst environmental disaster in US history, began in April after the explosion and sinking of the Deepwater Horizon drilling platform, leading to the spilling of 4.9 million liters of crude over the next three months.
- US to lease out Gulf of Mexico chunk for oil drilling - Jan 27, 2012
- US allows BP to drill new Gulf deepwater wells - Oct 22, 2011
- BP to pay $7.8 bn to victims of oil spill - Mar 05, 2012
- US blames BP's poor decisions for Gulf oil spill - Sep 15, 2011
- BP Oil Spill: Dead dolphins washed ashore had oil on them - Apr 08, 2011
- US terms reports of BP resuming Gulf of Mexico drilling as 'misconception' - Apr 05, 2011
- Louisiana voters rate Bush better than Obama - Jun 17, 2010
- US to hold major auction of oil and gas leases - Dec 15, 2011
- US Coast Guard says Gulf oil spill to make landfall Friday - Apr 30, 2010
- BP sues Cameron, Deepwater Horizon owner Transocean over Gulf of Mexico oil spill - Apr 21, 2011
- Alabama Governor declares state of emergency due to BP oil spill in the Gulf - May 01, 2010
- Cleanup to resume at US oil spill - Jul 25, 2010
- BP To Start Top Kill To Stop Oil Spill Further - May 25, 2010
- Obama recalls the 11 killed in BP disaster - Apr 21, 2011
- Oil spill threatens shipping along Gulf Coast - May 01, 2010
Tags: 50 states, bn, bp, bp plc, claimants, drilling platform, efe, explosion, fishing zones, gccf, gulf coast, gulf of mexico, gulf oil, indemnification, independent entity, initial claims, liters, louisiana mississippi, oil spill, refiling