Boy survives after being pierced by iron rod through stomachMarch 12th, 2009 - 4:33 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 12 (IANS) A six-year-old boy, pierced by an iron rod through his stomach when he fell from the roof of his house in Jharkhand Wednesday, is stable now after undergoing emergency surgery, doctors said Thursday.
Mihir was playing Holi with his friends in his house in Hazaribagh district of the state when he fell from the roof and was pierced through the stomach by an iron rod, protruding from the house.
His parents rushed him to the Rajendra Institute of Medical Sciences (RIMS) in the state capital, where a four-member team, headed by Dr Sandeep Agrawal, operated on him Wednesday night and removed the rod.
Dr Meghraj Kundan, who was part of the operating team, told IANS that Mihir had suffered injuries in his stomach from the rod, which caused a wound - an inch in diameter - as it pierced through him. His liver had suffered minor injuries and there was some damage to the pancreas, he added.
The three-hour-long operation was successful and his condition is now stable, he said.
Mihir is in the institute’s trauma centre and doctors say that the next 72 hours will be crucial.
- Iron rods removed from youth's stomach - Jan 03, 2011
- Man survives extraction of iron rod in Dubai - Sep 02, 2010
- Ranchi doctors remove a six feet long iron rod from a child''s abdomen - Mar 12, 2009
- Injured African student given 48 units of blood (Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Man pierced by iron rods, saved by doctors - Mar 12, 2012
- African national critical after freak accident - Apr 20, 2010
- Doctors face tough challenge in saving impaled African (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Impaled African student out of danger, other discharged - Apr 26, 2010
- Doctors give new life to youth speared with two rods - Dec 30, 2009
- Himachal Congress chief injured in accident - Dec 06, 2011
- Ajit Jogi's son airlifted to Delhi after mob attack (Lead) - Jun 25, 2011
- Two killed in Delhi road accidents - Dec 21, 2010
- Man kills wife, sister-in-law in Haryana - Jun 02, 2012
- Scissors removed from Chinese kid's head - Mar 26, 2012
- Iron rods injure 2 Nigerians in freak accident - Apr 19, 2010