Boy sacrificed for hidden treasure in AndhraJanuary 26th, 2012 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, Jan 26 (IANS) A 14-year-old boy was killed by a group of people in the belief that a human sacrifice would yield them a secret treasure in Andhra Pradesh’s Nirmal town, police said Thursday.
The police Thursday recovered the body of Ganesh at Shyamgarh Fort on the outskirts of the town in Adilabad district, about 250 km from here.
One man, Raju, who reportedly sold the boy for Rs.20,000 to the treasure seekers, has been arrested while eight members of the gang which sacrificed him are yet untraced and on the run, police said.
The boy was sacrificed for the believed-to-be hidden treasure in the fort on Amavasya (new moon night) on the intervening night of Jan 24-25. He was buried in the same area and the police exhumed the body Thursday.
Ganesh was a Class 9 student at a private school, and was lured away with snacks by Raju, the boy’s family members alleged.
On interrogating, Raju confessed to have sold the boy to a man named Prabhakar.
The angry relatives of the boy blockaded a road, demanding the police take immediate action against all accused.
According to locals, several people in the town and other areas in the district believe in hidden treasures and that a human sacrifice would reveal these.
- Tantrik's house of horror? Boy sacrificed, bones found - Nov 25, 2010
- Tantrik beheads boy for 'divine powers' - Feb 23, 2012
- Camel killed in Kazakhstan to end suicides - Apr 28, 2012
- Human head found at famous Kamakhya temple - Mar 02, 2012
- Was there a human sacrifice at an Indian temple? - Apr 18, 2010
- Human sacrifice in Mexico - Apr 02, 2012
- Where Diwali comes late and brings on animal slaughter - Nov 24, 2011
- As 'dark' Diwali dawns, Himachal awaits animal sacrifice - Dec 04, 2010
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra (Lead, With corrections in paras 10, 11) - Jan 28, 2012
- Raju, others denied bail in Satyam scam - Aug 04, 2011
- Three held for desecration of Ambedkar statues in Andhra - Jan 28, 2012
- Rajasthan woman sells son for Rs.40,000, held - Aug 09, 2012
- Doctor booked for dumping patients - Aug 03, 2011
- Telangana protesters lay siege to ministers, MPs' houses - Jan 08, 2011
- Two BSF men detained after 'human sacrifice' - Oct 07, 2011
Tags: andhra pradesh, angry relatives, boy to a man, ganesh, hidden treasure, hidden treasures, human sacrifice, hyderabad, jan 24, locals, moon night, new moon, nirmal, outskirts, private school, raju, secret treasure, snacks, town police, treasure seekers