Boy killed in firing during wedding in PunjabMarch 22nd, 2009 - 10:52 pm ICT by IANS
Banur (Punjab), March 22 (IANS) A 14-year-old boy died Sunday after being accidentally shot in the abdomen during celebratory firing to mark a wedding, the police said.
According to the police, Parvez Mohammad (14) was one of the members in the marriage procession that came to the town in Patiala district, 30 km from Chandigarh, from a nearby village. Prem Singh, who was also the part of procession, was continuously firing in the air in elation and one of the bullets hit Mohammed.
The youth was immediately rushed to civil hospital here from where he was referred to a government hospital in Chandigarh, where he succumbed to the injury, the police said.
The police have arrested Prem Singh (34), a native of Uttar Pradesh, and seized the .32 bore pistol from his possession. During questioning, he said the pistol was licensed but the police are investigating the claim.
According to an eyewitness, Singh was drunk and was not listening to repeated pleas not to fire from the weapon.
- Student killed in celebratory fire in Ghaziabad - Sep 12, 2012
- Man killed in celebratory firing in UP - Jun 30, 2012
- 10-year-old killed in celebratory firing (Lead) - Jul 17, 2012
- Property dealer shot dead in Ghaziabad - Dec 15, 2010
- Police await forensic reports on Jakhar's death - Jan 19, 2011
- Protesters block highway alleging police inaction - Jul 17, 2010
- 10-year-old shot dead in celebratory firing in UP - Jul 17, 2012
- Former Lok Sabha speaker Balram Jakhar's son shot dead - Jan 17, 2011
- Militants kill National Conference worker in Srinagar - Jun 15, 2012
- Trigger happy kabaddi fan lands in jail - Apr 13, 2010
- Forward Bloc leader shot dead in Bengal - Feb 07, 2011
- Tipsy cop kills girl in celebratory firing - Jun 28, 2012
- Mallika's brother held for accidental firing - Sep 13, 2011
- Youth goes on shooting spree, injures two - May 09, 2011
- Two children injured in celebratory firing - May 07, 2011