Boy killed, 4 injured in accidental blast in West BengalFebruary 2nd, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Feb 2 (IANS) A six-year-old boy died and four others suffered serious burns and injuries after a stove burst at a fast food shop in a West Bengal district Sunday night, police said Monday.Sheikh Bablu, 51, ran the shop at Prince Anwar Shah Road in South 24 Parganas district, on the outskirts of Kolkata. His wife, Ajmira (46) and daughter, Pinky (25) helped him.
The three were cleaning the shop before shutting it down Sunday night, and Pinky’s sons Shamim (8) and Sohail (6) were playing inside, when the accident took place.
District police chief Ajay Ranade said a loud blast was heard around 9.30 p.m. Sunday and the shop immediately caught fire.
“Police and fire brigade officials rushed to the spot. All the five were dragged out and rushed to a hospital. Sohail died immediately, while others suffered serious burns and injuries,” he said.
According to preliminary investigations, the accident occurred as a kerosene stove in the shop burst, Ranade said.
“Apparently, it seems there is no foul play in the incident. But we will be able to know the truth only after proper investigation,” he said.
Sohail’s body has been sent for post-mortem examination.
- 1 killed, many injured as LPG tanker explodes - Aug 28, 2012
- LPG tanker explosion kills two (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Two killed in fire - Dec 31, 2011
- Youth immolates over Trinamool 'fraud', party denies role (Lead) - Mar 06, 2011
- Youth sets self ablaze outside Mamata's house - Mar 06, 2011
- Six-year-old dies as school van overturns - Aug 05, 2011
- Three die in freak accident - Feb 22, 2012
- Pakistani child killed in firecracker blast - Jun 16, 2012
- UP accident kills four - Jun 05, 2012
- New Year fireworks set off 5,945 blazes in China - Feb 07, 2011
- Dalit lover lynched in Rajasthan - Oct 10, 2011
- 70-year-old run over by Arbaaz Khan's car (Second Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- One dead, 10 ill after ammonia cylinder bursts (Lead) - Dec 31, 2010
- Student sets herself afire after teacher's beating - Oct 14, 2011
- 30 dead in Karnataka bus mishap - May 30, 2010