Boy killed, 4 injured in accidental blast in West Bengal

February 2nd, 2009 - 4:55 pm ICT by IANS  

Kolkata, Feb 2 (IANS) A six-year-old boy died and four others suffered serious burns and injuries after a stove burst at a fast food shop in a West Bengal district Sunday night, police said Monday.Sheikh Bablu, 51, ran the shop at Prince Anwar Shah Road in South 24 Parganas district, on the outskirts of Kolkata. His wife, Ajmira (46) and daughter, Pinky (25) helped him.

The three were cleaning the shop before shutting it down Sunday night, and Pinky’s sons Shamim (8) and Sohail (6) were playing inside, when the accident took place.

District police chief Ajay Ranade said a loud blast was heard around 9.30 p.m. Sunday and the shop immediately caught fire.

“Police and fire brigade officials rushed to the spot. All the five were dragged out and rushed to a hospital. Sohail died immediately, while others suffered serious burns and injuries,” he said.

According to preliminary investigations, the accident occurred as a kerosene stove in the shop burst, Ranade said.

“Apparently, it seems there is no foul play in the incident. But we will be able to know the truth only after proper investigation,” he said.

Sohail’s body has been sent for post-mortem examination.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |