Boy from Bihar tops IIT entrance exam (Lead)May 30th, 2008 - 9:25 pm ICT by admin
Patna/Kanpur, May 30 (IANS) A Bihar boy, Shitikanth, has topped this year’s Joint Entrance Examinations (JEE) conducted for admissions to the country’s premier Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs). Shitikanth, who hails from Patna, said: “I am really happy and celebrating my success as I never expected to top.”
Surrounded by his family, relatives and friends, Shitikanth said he was expecting that his name may figure in the top ten. “It is all a result of hard work and positive surrounding, nothing else,” Shitikanth told IANS.
He said his favourite subject is physics followed by mathematics. “I love to study physics all time. I have no problem in physics, more or less the same with maths,” he said.
Shitikanth did his class 10 from St. Michael School in Patna. He joined Bansal Classes in Kota in Rajasthan to prepare for the IIT entrance exam.
Meanwhile, a statement released by IIT-Roorkee, which conducted this year’s JEE exams, said N. Vasuki from Chennai zone, with an all-India rank of 14 topped the list of girl candidates. In all, 8,652 candidates passed the exams. This year 311,258 students appeared in what is considered as one of the most gruelling under-graduate entrance exam.
Raproolu Nikhil Simha, ranked 27, topped the other backward classes (OBC) category while Anandiya Jyoti Roy (rank 166) and Rohit Singwal (rank 429) were toppers of Scheduled Castes (SC) and Scheduled Tribes (ST) category.
Three of 182 candidates who appeared in the exams from Dubai, have also qualified.
About 840 out of 78,159 girls qualified, while of the 72,116 OBC students 1,134 passed.
Similarly, 690 SC and 159 ST candidates cleared the exam.
There are 6,872 seats in IITs at Mumbai, Delhi, Guwahati, Kanpur, Kharagpur, Chennai, and Roorkee besides the six new IITs proposed by the central government in the eleventh plan.
The new locations are in Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Gujarat, Orissa, Punjab and Rajasthan.
Admissions to the six new IITs would begin during the 2008-2009 academic session, the release said. Counselling for the admission would begin June 17 and continue till June 21.
- The new IIT exam pattern (Factfile) - Jun 28, 2012
- Hyderabad steals the show in IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 26, 2010
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE test - May 26, 2010
- IIT Kanpur revolts, to hold separate entrance exam - Jun 08, 2012
- IIT-JEE topper aspires to be a civil servant (Second Lead) - May 25, 2011
- IIT-JEE results out, Faridabad boy tops - May 18, 2012
- States unwilling to join new IIT-JEE format - Jun 06, 2012
- Hyderabad boy tops IIT-JEE (Lead) - May 25, 2011
- Over 10,000 clear IIT entrance exam, Faridabad's Nitin Jain tops (Lead) - May 25, 2009
- Now, IIT-Kanpur seeks PM's intervention on common test - Jun 11, 2012
- Can't quit IIT, reappear in entrance test: Court - Apr 05, 2012
- IITs agree to a compromise, but retain hold on test (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- 12-year-old Bihar boy clears Class 12 after cracking IIT-JEE - May 29, 2012
- Court relief to OBC student denied admission to IIT-Delhi - Jul 01, 2011
- 'India should have single engineering entrance exam' - Apr 25, 2012