Boxer Vijender has to be content with bronze (Lead)August 22nd, 2008 - 3:30 pm ICT by IANS
Beijing, Aug 22 (IANS) Boxer Vijender Singh could not convert India’s third Olympic medal from bronze into silver or gold by losing his middleweight (75kg) bout here Friday.Vijender lost 5-8 to Cuban Emilio Correa Bayeaux in a closely contested semi-final at the Workers Gymnasium, but his will be the first-ever boxing medal for India.
Both the losing semi-finalists are awarded bronze.
Emilio, a two-time Pan-American Champion, was clearly the better boxer on view with his quick footwork and reach. To Vijender’s credit, he fought gallantly to carry the bout right into the fourth round, though the portents were clear that the Cuban had the edge by the end of the third round.
Vijender, who conceded a 2-0 lead in the first round, fought back brilliantly in the second to reduce the margin to 3-4. But Emilio came back strongly in the third round and scored three points to take a big lead of 7-3.
In the fourth and last round, Vijender tried his best, but the Cuban made sure he stayed in the lead with his passive movements. A warning to the Cuban fetched the Indian two more points, but Vijender could not really launch himself and went down 5-8.
Vijender’s bronze is the third medal in what turned out to be the best Olympics for India. Last week shooter Abhinav Bindra gave the country its first ever individual gold while wrestler Sushil Kumar won the bronze Wednesday.
- Vijender knocked out of World Boxing Championships - Oct 01, 2011
- Vijender in semifinals of Arafura Games - May 10, 2011
- Boxer Vijender loses in semis, wins Olympic bronze - Aug 22, 2008
- Indian boxers look to make a mark at the grandest stage (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- Vijender to carry Indian flag at closing ceremony - Aug 23, 2008
- Olympic boxing: India's Vijender in 75 kg quarterfinal (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Mary Kom in semis, Vijender suffers heartbreaking loss (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 07, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Mary Kom secures historic bronze (Second Lead) - Aug 08, 2012
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Olympic boxing: Vijender powers his way to pre-quarters (Lead) - Jul 29, 2012
- Outlook on boxing changed after Beijing bronze: Vijender - Jun 28, 2012
- Under-pressure Vijender hopes to book London berth in Astana - Apr 02, 2012
- Shiva, Sangwan secure London Olympics berth (Roundup) - Apr 11, 2012
- Mary Kom, Vijender a win away from medal (Overall India Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Shiva Thapa youngest Indian boxer to qualify for Olympics (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012