Boxer Poonia settles for silver at Comonwealth Youth GamesSeptember 12th, 2011 - 6:15 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 12 (IANS) Indian boxer Rahul Poonia lost 6:13 to England’s Jack Bateson in the finals of the 49 kg category to settle for a silver at the Youth Commonwealth Games in the Isle of Man here Sunday.
Poonia, the Cuban Youth Olympics gold medallist, was the lone Indian to have made it to the finals of the Games. He registered an easy victory over Nyiko Ndukula of South Africa to set up a summit clash with the English boxer.
Bateson, a quarterfinalist at the European Youth Championship, made an aggressive start, not giving Poonia many chances to score, but the Indian pugilist managed throw in a few straight punches to open his account. As the bout progressed, Poonia seemed out of sorts against the feisty offence of his opponent. He tried hard to gain the advantage but failed to connect. Bateson, on the other hand, kept increasing the margin with his decisive body blows and short jabs.
Earlier in the tournament, Youth National Champion Surender Singh (75kg) had to settle for a bronze medal finish after losing in the semifinals.
India ended the boxing event of the Youth Games with a silver and a bronze.
- Boxing team sure of medals at Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 07, 2011
- Amandeep settles for silver in Asian Boxing - Aug 12, 2011
- President's Cup: Boxer Devendro loses final to settle for silver - May 07, 2012
- Surender assured of boxing bronze in Commonwealth Youth Games - Sep 10, 2011
- Indian boxer Thapa in quarters of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 07, 2012
- Akhil, Vijender to lead charge in World Boxing Championship - Aug 18, 2011
- Shiva Thapa enters final at Czech boxing meet - Mar 24, 2012
- Indian boxer Vikas pulls out of final - Nov 28, 2011
- Thapa in quarters, Suranjoy out of Olympic qualifiers (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Boxer Shiva enters semis of Olympic qualifiers - Apr 09, 2012
- Wrist injury forces Vikas to withdraw from Olympic test event final - Nov 28, 2011
- Indian boxer Devendro in finals of President's Cup - May 06, 2012
- Monica and Pooja settle for bronze at China Open boxing - Jun 02, 2011
- Boxers Shiva, Sangwan strike gold at Olympic qualifier - Apr 12, 2012
- Manpreet in quarters of Olympic qualifying event - Apr 06, 2012
Tags: bateson, body blows, boxing event, bronze medal, commonwealth games, cuban youth, easy victory, games new, gold medallist, isle of man, jabs, national champion, offence, pugilist, punches, rahul, summit clash, surender, youth games, youth olympics