Boxer Marykom makes a return in national championshipNovember 3rd, 2008 - 5:09 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Nov 3 (IANS) Three times world champion MC Marykom will return from a sabbatical in the ninth Senior Women’s National Boxing Championship.Marykom, after her marriage and birth of twins, was out of the ring for the past two years. But the ring queen on her return has made it clear that she would be focussing on winning a gold medal in the World Championship.
More than 300 women boxers from 27 states and two sports boards are participating in the tournament that began Sunday at St John’s College ground and is being organised by the Indian Boxing Federation (IBF).
“I am practising hard and determined to do something for the country in the coming Beijing World Championship from Nov 22,” she told IANS.
The Padmashri awardee said Indian female boxers will perform well in 2010 Commonwealth Games.
This national championship is held at Agra for the first time. However the poor response from the local people disappointed the lady boxers, some of whom are confident of doing well at the international level.
The other star attractions included current world champion Sarita Devi and Asian champion Kalpna Choudhary.
- Mary Kom to lead Indian team in women's world boxing - Aug 16, 2010
- Sixteen Indian boxers for junior Women's World Championship - Feb 19, 2011
- Mary Kom, Sarita look to secure Olympic berth - Apr 04, 2012
- Olympic medal perfect way to end my career: Mary Kom - May 08, 2012
- Mary Kom eases into semis of National Boxing - Oct 14, 2011
- Mary Kom to lead Indian challenge in Asian championship - Mar 01, 2012
- Mary Kom moves closer to Olympic berth - May 15, 2012
- Ace woman boxer threatens to quit boxing, give up national award - Sep 25, 2010
- Sarita Devi advances in boxing world championship - May 13, 2012
- Sarita in pre-quarters, closer to Olympics - May 14, 2012
- Indian women boxers get set for Asian Games and World Cup bouts - Apr 24, 2010
- Boxer Sarita Devi beats Kuleshova in World Championships - Sep 11, 2010
- Nikhat Zareen, a champion in the making (With Images) - May 03, 2011
- Mary Kom reaches quarterfinal of world boxing - Sep 12, 2010
- Rich haul of medals for India in Asian Women's Boxing - Mar 25, 2012