‘Bow wows’ and wedding vows at unique canine weddingAugust 31st, 2008 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 31 (IANS) Beggy, Pepper and Shaggy walked the red carpet attired in coats, t-shirts and ties, while Daisy, Honey and Mishri looked cute in frocks with bows and ponytails. This is the scene from the capital’s first ever mass dog wedding during which canine couples were united in wedlock as a band played in the background and affectionate owners showered rose petals.Over 100 canines participated in the wedding ceremony organised at the Ansal Plaza business centre here Saturday.
“We are here to find a perfect bride for our dog Jingo, a poodle who has been alone for a while now. I am hopeful of finding a mate for him,” said dog owner Kirtana Alhuwalia.
Apart from finding mates for the canines, the main attraction of the event was the “wedding ceremony” of six dogs that were chosen by the judges after they walked the red carpet.
“Our main criteria of selecting a pair is to keep their breeds in mind. The ratio of male participants to females was more so there were not many pairs around,” said one of the judges, Shweta Khurana, editor of Dogs and Pups magazine.
The wedding of the six canines was done in style as the owner took the vows for the couple and blessed them. Then everyone showered the couple with rose petals and wished them luck. All the while Bollywood music was played by a wedding band present.
A St. Bernard pair, Nano and Theo, got the Best Pair Award.
There were other award categories as well - Most Obedient Dog, bagged by a Labrador; Best Dressed Dog, given to a German Spitz; Most Fat Dog, bagged by a Labrador; Cutest Dog, given to a Pekingese; Most Naughty Dog - a Toy Terrier; and Most Photogenic Dog - a German Spitz.
The canines seemed to enjoy every moment of the gala — and why not, after all every dog has its day.
Speaking at the occasion, Ansal Plaza malls COO, Arif Sheikh said: “This is a mock wedding aimed at all dog lovers to celebrate the company of this wonderful pet that is like a family member to all of us.”
The enthusiasm of the dog lovers was evident from the fact that in spite of bad management - everyone managed to make the most of it.
“The event is a nice attempt to bring together dog lovers on a large scale, but it has to be organised in a much better way. There is no seating arrangement and everything is so chaotic,” said Menakshi Ghai, dog owner.
Another complaint was about the timing of the event. Dog owners felt that such events should take place in winters so that canines can dress up smartly and are comfortable.
“Such events should take place in winter as most dogs are not used to the humidity and heat. They get very tired and restless due to the heat,” said Vasundra Bajaj, a dog owner whose Scooby - a St Bernard - was getting restless.
Over 500 dog owners had registered their pets for the matrimony but the final list was cut down to around 100 canines that had been cleared by the vet. The pedigrees present ranged from German Shepherds, St. Bernards, poodles, English bull dogs, German Spitz, Lhasa Apso, Toy Terrier, Cocker Spaniel and others.
The judges were - Preeti and Sanjeev Kumar, owner of pet grooming parlour - Scooby Scrub; Dogs and Pups magazine editor, Shweta Khurana, and Shoppers Stop unit head, Gaurav Gupta.
- Meet the diva pooch that walks on her hind legs, carries her own handbag! - Oct 22, 2010
- Recession affecting pets in Britain - Nov 13, 2011
- Labrador Retriever named America's top dog - Jan 27, 2011
- Over 300 dogs participate in Amritsar show - Dec 20, 2010
- Chihuahuas now join Australia's 'Most Dangerous Dogs' list - Nov 07, 2010
- Watson clears the air over pink dog - Jun 27, 2012
- Pug fashion leads to longer noses and legs - Jul 16, 2012
- Poodle reunited with owner after 18 months of 'mystery' - Jan 31, 2011
- Government frames rules on dog breeding, sale - Jun 09, 2010
- Rooting for the underdog! (Feature) - Sep 25, 2011
- Dog's head size predicts strength, running ability - Feb 01, 2011
- Single dogs can now find a mate on the web - Nov 14, 2010
- Five dogs best suited for life in a metro (Feature) - Jul 05, 2010
- Canines get ready to sniff out trouble at Games (With Images) - Aug 10, 2010
- Pet Store Products Might Be Harmful For Pets - Jun 18, 2010