Boston University likely to open campus in IndiaDecember 29th, 2009 - 5:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 29 (IANS) One of the prominent varsities in the US, the Boston University, is likely to open a campus in India. Its president is visiting New Delhi in January for the purpose.
Varsity president Robert A. Brown is expected to meet Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal and attend a seminar on de-regulating Indian education Jan 9.
The development took place after Sibal toured the university in October and had a discussion with Brown about an Indian campus of Boston University.
“Minister Sibal’s visit was a wonderful opportunity to hear first hand about the opportunities and challenges for higher education in India and to brief the minister and his delegation on Boston University programmes in research and education,” Brown has been quoted as saying in his campus magazine.
“Our discussions uncovered many synergies between the strengths of Boston University and the opportunities in India. We look forward to exploring these opportunities further,” he added.
India is in talks with several world class varsities and have invited them to open campuses here. Sibal had already discussed the issue with several top administrators of Harvard, Yale and Duke universities.
The country is also set to table a bill in parliament to allow foreign universities to set up campuses here.
During his tour of Boston, Sibal had said: “We are looking at institutions of excellence. We would like the best in the world to come to India, and it is in that sense that we would welcome Boston University.”
- Indian higher education leadership programme with Yale University - Oct 14, 2011
- India promises level playing field to US varsities - Oct 31, 2009
- India assures level playing field to foreign educational institutions - Oct 14, 2011
- Sibal to focus on wooing foreign varsities on US trip - May 29, 2010
- India opening excites some US varsities, others cautious - Mar 28, 2010
- India will get more prominence at Harvard - Aug 07, 2011
- Investments will boost India, US economies: Harvard India meet - Mar 27, 2012
- Sibal to tour New Zealand for educational ties - Apr 03, 2010
- Foreign varsities in India soon (Lead) - Mar 15, 2010
- Foreign university bill introduced in Lok Sabha (Lead) - May 03, 2010
- Foreign varsities to invest money earned back in India - Mar 24, 2010
- Congress, BJP spokespersons at Yale leadership programme - Jun 13, 2011
- Political, institutional reform can make India a superpower: Sibal - Apr 24, 2011
- IGNOU to have centre for the deaf - Oct 02, 2011
- 'No fear of losing IIT teachers to foreign varsities' - May 21, 2010
Tags: boston university, campuses, challenges, delegation, development minister, duke universities, education in india, harvard, higher education in india, human resource development, indian education, institutions, kapil sibal, New Delhi, parliament, president robert, robert a brown, synergies, yale