Boost for research in mental health, neuro-sciencesJanuary 20th, 2012 - 9:29 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, Jan 20 (IANS) A new Centre for Advanced Research for Innovation in Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences will be set up here, Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad announced Friday.
The centre will come up at the National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) with support for manpower development as well as projects on translational research from the Indian Council for Medical Research, Azad said at the 16th Convocation of NIMHANS.
Azad is president of the NIMHANS society. NIMHANS was declared an institute of National Importance in October last year.
NIMHANS is a renowned multi-specialty hospital for treatment of neurological, neurosurgical and mental illnesses.
Patients from various parts of the country come here to seek treatment and rehabilitative services. Last year more than 450,000 patients received medical services at the institute.
The chief guest at the convocation, Vice President Hamid Ansari, called for efforts to remove the stigma attached to mental illness.
“While we have made enormous strides in de-stigmatizing patients of HIV/AIDS through public education and awareness campaigns, we have not been able to replicate the same regarding mental disorders. We must reduce the stigma and discrimination through public awareness,” he said.
- Need to strengthen mental health services in country: Azad - Jan 20, 2012
- Parliamentary approval for NIMHANS Bill - Sep 04, 2012
- Dutch varsity to do research in eye care in India - Aug 22, 2012
- Kashmir mental health institute gets excellence tag - Oct 15, 2011
- 20 million need mental health care: Expert - Oct 11, 2011
- NIMHANS now institute of national importance - Oct 20, 2010
- NIMHANS to be an institute of national importance - Oct 20, 2010
- Azad condoles Kolkata hospital deaths, offers help - Dec 09, 2011
- Yoga effective in treating psychiatric disorders - Sep 20, 2011
- Over 120 doctors quit government hospitals - Mar 02, 2011
- Five mental clinics to come up in Jammu region - Jul 02, 2012
- Legislative business in monsoon session (With '13/20: Another low-yield parliament session ends') - Sep 07, 2012
- Health minister inaugurates hospital in Mumbai - Nov 01, 2010
- Once a mental asylum, NIMHANS hails new status - Oct 20, 2010
- 'India faces 50 percent nursing shortage' - Mar 29, 2012
Tags: awareness campaigns, chief guest, convocation, family welfare, ghulam nabi azad, hiv aids, institute of mental health, manpower development, medical research, mental disorders, mental illness, mental illnesses, national institute of mental health, nimhans, public awareness, public education, rehabilitative services, specialty hospital, stigma and discrimination, strides