Bombs found in Chhattisgarh’s Maoist heartlandJanuary 1st, 2012 - 3:28 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 1 (IANS) Two bombs of 40 kg each were recovered Sunday from Chhattisgarh’s Maoist insurgency-hit Bastar region, police said.
Officials at police headquarters here said the bombs were placed on a forested road in Awapalli area of Bijapur district, 500 km from here.
A search team of the state police spotted the bombs and called in a bomb disposal squad that immediately defused them.
Police suspect that Maoists placed the bombs to target a convoy of police and paramilitary forces which was expected to cross the road in the afternoon.
Bijapur, along with Dantewada, Bastar, Narayanpur and Kanker districts, forms the 40,000 sq km forested Bastar region where Maoists have been running a parallel administration in the interiors since the 1980s.
- Five bombs found in Chhattisgarh - Sep 26, 2011
- 25 kg landmine defused in Chhattisgarh - May 10, 2011
- Maoists fire at passenger bus in Chhattisgarh - Oct 19, 2010
- Three armed Maoists held in Chhattisgarh - Mar 05, 2011
- Landmines recovered in Chhattisgarh - Apr 28, 2011
- Maoists abduct two villagers - Jan 10, 2012
- Maoists blow up new police station in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Dec 27, 2011
- Six Maoists arrested in Chhattisgarh - Dec 26, 2011
- CRPF trooper killed in Maoist attack - Sep 18, 2011
- Maoists blow up police station in Chhattisgarh - Dec 27, 2011
- Maoists fire at bus, two rebels killed (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- Maoist shutdown hits life in Chhattisgarh - Dec 04, 2010
- Tribal killed by Maoists - Aug 11, 2011
- Maoists kill six cops in Chhattisgarh (Lead) - Oct 21, 2011
- CRPF trooper killed as Maoists trigger IED blast - Mar 18, 2010