Bomb scare in south Delhi marketDecember 2nd, 2008 - 1:01 am ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 1 (IANS) Shops shut down, people ran helter skelter and the bomb disposal squad arrived at a market in south Delhi Monday evening after an auto-rickshaw driver raised an alarm, saying that passengers might have planted bombs in his vehicle. However, what were suspected to be bombs turned out to be crackers.The auto rickshaw driver, whose identity has been withheld, raised an alarm when two young men alighted from his vehicle in Kotla Mubarkpur market in South Extension area and ran away without taking their large jute bag.
“I called them many times but they just ran away. When I opened the large bag, I noticed something like a bomb lying inside and raised the alarm,” the driver said.
The men had hailed the auto-rickshaw from Bhikaji Cama Place.
The police immediately swung into action and evacuated the entire area. However, it was at least 45 minutes before the bomb disposal squad and four sniffer dogs arrived at the spot.
The bomb disposal squad opened the bag and found it filled with firecrackers.
But the police were concerned about the time taken by the squad to arrive at the scene.
“Yes, they were late by about 45 minutes due to some reasons not known to us. It is such a serious matter. Had it carried a bomb, it could have caused massive damage,” said a police official present at Kotla Mubarkpur market, which remains heavily crowded in the evenings.
Delhi Police officials said they were questioning the auto driver about the two men and were taking the matter very seriously.
The Intelligence Bureau had earlier sounded an alert that terrorists might use auto-rickshaws for triggering blasts in crowded areas of the capital.
- Cops foil bid to blast Ranchi passport office - Jun 09, 2010
- 30-year-old auto rickshaws banned in Pakistani city - Jul 22, 2012
- Bengal comes out with directives for cabs, auto rickshaws - Aug 22, 2012
- Firecracker blast causes panic in Bangalore - Sep 09, 2011
- Overspeeding truck kills one, injures two in Delhi - Mar 11, 2012
- Four dead in freak multi-vehicle accident (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Bomb fear creates panic at Bokaro railway station - Mar 04, 2009
- He heard deafening sound, then building rattled - Jul 13, 2011
- Bomb recovered in Ranchi pond - Jun 16, 2010
- Truck rams 10 vehicles, eight people killed - Jan 29, 2011
- Delhi blast probe: missing car may hold clue - Sep 08, 2011
- Court dismisses petitions against GPS systems for Delhi autos - Sep 17, 2012
- Kidnapping bid foiled - Sep 23, 2011
- Armed robbers loot Rs.15 lakh in Noida, nabbed, money recovered (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Strike takes autos off Delhi roads, commuters hit - Feb 28, 2012