Bomb hoax in Kolkata IT hub, one heldAugust 25th, 2010 - 4:50 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 25 (IANS) A bomb hoax led to the evacuation of 1,500 employees and a massive search at a 14-storey building in the IT hub of Rajarhat on the city outskirts Wednesday. The hoax was traced to a youth who had been turned down for a job there a few months ago, police said.
An anonymous call reportedly made at Rajarhat police station claimed that the Technopolis building, which houses several IT firms, would be blown up. The caller said the bomb was in the ground floor of the building in Rajarhat in North 24-Parganas district.
“Nothing was found after hours of a long and thorough search. The bomb scare occurred after a hoax call made by a youth, Somnath Dhol, who was later arrested,” district superintendent of police Rahul Srivasthav said.
Police said Dhol is an unemployed youth who had gone there for a job a few months back but was rejected.
Debabrata Das, additional superintendent of police, Salt Lake, said: “Immediately after the anonymous call, huge contingents of police along with the officials of the fire and emergency services department rushed to the spot.”
“The entire building was cordoned off within a 100-m radius and all the employees were asked to come down gradually.”
“Bomb squads and dog squads were called in and search operations started. After the first round of extensive search at the basement, groundfloor and first floor, nothing suspicious was found,” said a senior police officer.
Onlookers, including a few employees, however, alleged that bomb squad personnel arrive two hours after being informed about the incident.
Meanwhile, a scuffle broke out between photojournalists and the security guards of the Technopolis building. During the emergency evacuation of over 1,500 employees from the building, the journalists tried to enter into the premises, breaching the cordon put up by the private security personnel.
Police had to intervene and one policeman was also manhandled by the irate mob, police said.
- Moscow rail terminal briefly evacuated over hoax bomb threat - Dec 17, 2010
- Bomb scare in Lahore - Aug 13, 2011
- Hoax call to blow up Delhi Police headquarters - Nov 06, 2011
- Ukrainian airport evacuated after bomb scare - Aug 21, 2012
- Bomb scare at Taj Mahal - Jan 04, 2012
- Bomb scare at Rajiv Chowk metro station - Jan 27, 2011
- Hoax bomb call at Mumbai court - Apr 17, 2010
- Bomb scare at Delhi Metro station - Apr 14, 2011
- Bomb hoax delays Delhi-bound Rajdhani in Goa (Second Lead) - Jun 20, 2012
- DPS Ghaziabad evacuated after bomb hoax - Jan 21, 2010
- Chandigarh multiplex vacated after bomb threat - Jan 11, 2011
- Woman held for making hoax bomb call - Sep 03, 2011
- Indian embassy in Washington resumes work after bomb threat (Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Thousands evacuated from the Eiffel Tower and Champ de Mars over bomb threat - Sep 15, 2010
- Two held for hoax call about bomb in PM's aircraft - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: bomb hoax, bomb scare, bomb squad, bomb squads, city outskirts, dhol, district superintendent, emergency evacuation, emergency services department, fire and emergency services, groundfloor, irate mob, massive search, onlookers, photojournalists, rajarhat, search operations, security personnel, technopolis, unemployed youth