‘Bomb box’ creates panic in Howrah stationSeptember 23rd, 2008 - 8:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 23 (IANS) An abandoned box with the inscription “10 bombs, 51 mm” on it was found in a train Tuesday creating panic at the Howrah station here. However, officials said it was unlikely the box contained live bombs. Railway police officials Tuesday evening spotted the green military ammunition box inside a deserted compartment of the Howrah-Bhadrak passenger train. The discovery led to panic spreading through the busy station.
The train had come from the Santragachi car shed of Howrah district and was stranded at Platform No 21. The entire area was immediately evacuated by police and sniffer dogs and the bomb disposal squad was brought in.
“There are no possibilities that the box contains live bombs. The box contains only covers or inners of bombs,” said defence spokesperson R.K. Das.
He told reporters that only “inexplosive ordnance material” from various factories across the country are supplied via trains. “Bombs with explosive contents are escorted to army camps via road. This box was to be sent to Balasore (Orissa).”
- Five railway employees suspended for Howrah bomb box - Sep 25, 2008
- Train hits road roller, derails; passengers safe - Feb 27, 2011
- Neelachal express derails after hitting road roller in Orissa - Feb 27, 2011
- Passengers stranded; Trinamool, CPI-M blame each other - Oct 01, 2011
- High-powered explosives recovered in Kolkatas Howrah station - Sep 23, 2008
- Bomb hoax on Howrah bridge - Sep 25, 2011
- Railway's superfast double decker train from Saturday - Sep 30, 2011
- Mamata thanks railway family - May 18, 2011
- Man beheaded in crowded train compartment, one held (Lead) - Aug 28, 2012
- Man beheaded in crowded train compartment - Aug 28, 2012
- Doctor couple among train fire victims - Nov 23, 2011
- Moscow rail terminal briefly evacuated over hoax bomb threat - Dec 17, 2010
- Railway police forces to join hands to curb crime - Aug 12, 2011
- Technical snag hits Delhi Metro - Jun 08, 2012
- Two men arrested for stealing 14 bombs - Dec 29, 2008