Bolt will face stiff challenge from Blake: HolmesMay 4th, 2012 - 3:39 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 4 (IANS) British two-time Olympic gold medallist Kelly Holmes feels that sprint star Usain Bolt will face a tough fight from his 22-year-old Jamaican teammate Yohan Blake to win an Olympic 100 and 200 metres double in London.
Holmes, who won the 800 metres and the 1500 meters title in 2004 Athens, feels Bolt is head and shoulders above the rest and is confident that the Beijing Games gold medallist will blow away the field if he is in perfect shape.
“I think everybody is really looking forward to the men’s 100 metres with Usain Bolt as the showcase event. Usain Bolt is head and shoulders above the rest. Providing he doesn’t false start, he’s injury free and healthy, I think he’ll blow the field away,” Holmes was quoted as saying by laureus.com.
The 42-year-old, however, feels that Bolt will face some serious competition from Blake in the 200 metres.
“But in the 200 metres he’s definitely got to watch out because Yohan Blake has run the second fastest time in the world. I think on his day he could give Bolt a run for his money,” she said.
Holmes also tipped British stars Rebecca Adlington (800 metres freestyle swimming) and Chris Hoy (cycling) for Olympic glory and hoped South African double amputee Oscar Pistorius, also known as ‘Blade Runner’, would double up at 400 metres in the Olympic and Paralympic Games.
“The great thing about the Olympic Games is that new stars are born, people that you know are not in the public eye right now. So there will be brand new people that even I probably would never have thought would step up to the plate,” she said.
- Bolt injury free, ready to defend titles, says manager - Jul 25, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- Now Blake keen on playing in Australia's Big Bash - Aug 17, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Bolt's doctor declares him fit and ready - Jul 27, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt claims historic double with 200m gold (Lead) - Aug 10, 2012
- Olympic athletics: US women's quartet sets world record (Roundup) - Aug 11, 2012
- Olympics won't be easy for Bolt: Mennea - Jul 13, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica celebrates historic 200m one-two-three - Aug 10, 2012
- Bolt screams to Olympic 100m gold (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympics: Bolt, Blake headline weekend track action - Aug 03, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaica win relay in new WR (Lead) - Aug 12, 2012
- Bolt unfazed despite two shockers from Blake - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: adlington, blade runner, british stars, double amputee, fastest time, games gold, head and shoulders, kelly holmes, new stars, olympic games, olympic glory, olympic gold medallist, paralympic games, perfect shape, showcase event, sprint star, stiff challenge, time in the world, usain bolt, yohan blake