Bofors deal: Decision on dropping Quattrocchi cases Feb 21February 10th, 2011 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 10 (IANS) A local court Thursday reserved its order till Feb 21 on a CBI plea seeking to close all criminal cases against Italian businessman Ottavio Quattrocchi, one of the alleged recipients of kickbacks in the Bofors gun deal.Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Vinod Yadav after hearing the arguments on Central Bureau of Investigation’s (CBI) application reserved the order till Feb 21.
On Jan 6, the court at the Tis Hazari district court complex here upheld the CBI plea that a tax notice served on Quattrocchi was not linked with the criminal aspect of the Bofors kickbacks scam.
The court was hearing a petition by advocate Ajay Agarwal opposing the CBI’s application seeking to close all criminal cases against Quattrocchi.
The court asked the petitioner to satisfy it that the case closure application by the CBI was not in public interest, bonafide and in good faith.
The CBI had sought withdrawal of the cases against Quattrocchi in the Bofors pay-off scam citing lack of evidence even though a tax tribunal ruled in December 2010 that illegal commissions were indeed paid in the Rs.15-billion gun deal of 1987.
The Income Tax Appellate Tribunal (ITAT) ruled Dec 31 that Quattrocchi and his associate Win Chadha, who is now dead, received a commission of over Rs.412 million in the Rs.15-billion howitzer gun deal in 1987.
- Delhi court pulls up CBI in Bofors scam case - Feb 10, 2011
- Let home ministry first decide on Qattrocchi extradition: Krishna - Jan 07, 2011
- Fresh attempt to stop CBI from closing Bofors case - Feb 19, 2011
- Delhi court upholds CBI plea in Bofors scam, next hearing in Feb - Jan 06, 2011
- Court upholds CBI plea in Bofors case (Second Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Bofors deal: court defers order on CBI plea - Feb 21, 2011
- Bofors scam: Decision on Ottavio Quattrocchi case today - Jan 06, 2011
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Second Lead, superseding previous story) - Apr 25, 2012
- 25 years of India's 'Watergate': The Bofors scandal (Lead) - Apr 25, 2012
- Chronology: Bofors graft row over last 25 years - Apr 25, 2012
- Bofors payoff case: Decision on Quattrocchi's fate deferred till March 4 - Feb 21, 2011
- Court upholds CBI plea in Bofors case (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- Gadkari questions relations between Gandhis, Quattrocchi - Jan 12, 2011
- Court allows closure of Bofors case, relief for Quattrocchi (Second Lead) - Mar 04, 2011
- BJP seeks apology from PM over Quattrocchi remark - Jan 04, 2011
Tags: ajay, appellate tribunal, bofors gun, bonafide, case closure, cbi, central bureau of investigation, chadha, good faith, gun deal, howitzer, italian businessman, kickbacks, lack of evidence, local court, magistrate, petitioner, plea, tax tribunal, yadav