Boeing signs deal with Maharashtra Airport Development Co.January 31st, 2009 - 9:55 pm ICT by IANS
Nagpur, Jan 31 (IANS) Aircraft maker Boeing Saturday signed a land lease agreement with Maharashtra Airport Development Co. (MADC) for setting up a $100-million maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO) facility.”We will have our second MRO unit here in Nagpur with Air India as our partner,” Boeing senior vice-president Dinesh Keskar told reporters after signing the agreement.
The state-run MADC will provide land for the project.
Keskar said the construction work will begin by the end of next year. “By March-end, we will float tenders for constructing hangars and other facilities for the new MRO.”
Boeing chose Nagpur for setting up the facility as there is ample availability of manpower and land. The city also provides favourable climatic conditions for the facility, said the official.
Keskar added that the company will not cut jobs in India. Earlier, Boeing announced that it would slash 10,000 jobs worldwide.
The aerospace giant that manufactures passenger, freight and military planes has a workforce of 176,000 worldwide.
He added that said Boeing has orders worth $275 billion for supplying 3,700 aircraft to various airlines across the world.
“It will take at least five years for the company to meet the demand,” Keskar added.
- Air India's new MRO coming up in Nagpur - Sep 04, 2012
- Boeing to invest $100 mn for aircraft maintenance base - Jun 09, 2010
- GE Aviation signs technical solutions agreement with Air India - Feb 04, 2011
- Air India negotiating for 'just compensation' for Boeing-787 delays - May 23, 2011
- Air India, Boeing negotiate 'just compensation' for delays (Lead) - May 23, 2011
- India seals biggest military deal with US for 10 C-17 airlifters (Lead) - Jun 15, 2011
- Indian aviation's MRO business set to soar - Apr 08, 2012
- 'India aiming to be among top five aviation markets' - Mar 14, 2012
- Boeing begins assembly of India Navy's first P-8I aircraft (With Images) - Jun 22, 2011
- First Boeing C-17s to arrive in India by mid-2013 - Aug 01, 2012
- Karnataka to have aerospace policy to woo investments - Aug 24, 2012
- India seals $4.1 bn deal for 10 C-17 airlifters - Jun 15, 2011
- Air India's staff strength to be right-sized: Ajit Singh - Jul 17, 2012
- Air India, GE to set up $90 mn engine maintenance facility - Mar 04, 2010
- Air India proposes VRS to cut down staff - May 27, 2012