Body lies on road, police squabble over jurisdictionApril 30th, 2008 - 3:27 pm ICT by admin
Kolkata, April 30 (IANS) An elderly man lay dead for over four hours on a busy street in Kolkata’s twin district Howrah Wednesday even as officials of two police stations argued over the jurisdiction and passers-by turned a blind eye. The body remained on the spot for over four hours in front of a police jeep as no one was willing to take it to the nearest hospital.
“The person, identified as Kadam Kumar Pantha, 60, came from Nepal Wednesday morning. The man was travelling by a bus when he fell ill. The other passengers helped him to get off from the vehicle near Ghoshpara area,” a senior police official of Howrah district, Samarendra Das, told IANS.
He said the man sat by the roadside and later died of some breathing trouble there.
Police said Pantha was seriously ill when he got down from the bus. He was shivering badly and sat by the side of the road at around 5.30 a.m.
“His body could not be removed from the spot as there was confusion over the jurisdiction of two police stations - Shibpur and Bantra,” a police official said.
He said the body was later taken to Howrah State General Hospital and the family members of the victim in Nepal were also informed about the incident.
“The man used to work as a private security guard at Shibpur area in Howrah district, about 10 km from Kolkata, and stayed in a rented house there,” the official said.
“I was passing by the road in the morning when I saw the man lying dead. There was a police jeep parked in front of the body but the officials were indifferent about taking it to the hospital,” said Rupan Nanda, an eyewitness.
“It was pathetic… The body was left for more than four hours there,” he said.
Few months back, a similar incident took place at Bidhannagar area in north-eastern Kolkata when a motorcyclist was killed by a speeding truck on a busy street. His body lay unattended for hours.
- Eight dead as vehicle slams into bus in UP - Apr 21, 2012
- Three die in Bengal road accident - Jul 07, 2011
- Five killed in Nepal road accident - Apr 07, 2012
- Extortionist held in West Bengal - Dec 21, 2010
- Kolkata police officer commits suicide - Aug 25, 2012
- Kolkata cop succumbs to injuries - Mar 11, 2012
- Buddhadeb, Mamata hold simultaneous roadshows - Apr 10, 2011
- 17 injured in Kolkata amusement park accident - Aug 21, 2012
- Bengal heat toll rises to 45 (Lead) - Jun 06, 2012
- 12 pilgrims killed in Bengal accident - Oct 21, 2011
- Panchayat secretary killed in Maoist firing - Aug 30, 2012
- Schoolgirl chokes to death after imitating suicide scene - Dec 27, 2011
- Injured man resembling Delhi blast suspect arrested in Howrah - Sep 15, 2011
- Bus set on fire, train movement partially hit in Bengal - May 31, 2012
- Odisha cop killed, four injured in mob attack - Aug 12, 2012