Bodoland gets more support, strike from May 7May 3rd, 2012 - 2:59 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 3 (IANS) With other communities backing the demand for a Bodoland in Assam, a 36-hour state-wide strike has been called from May 7.
Forty-five groups representing tribal and non-tribal communities have joined the movement, Bodo leader Jebra Ram Muchahary said here Thursday.
“With so many communities joining us, the Bodoland demand has become one of masses in Bodo dominated areas,” People’s Joint Action Committee for Bodoland Movement (PJACBM) chief convener Muchahary said.
The PJACBM has called for a 36-hour strike on May 7. On May 18, there will be district demonstrations. On May 25 national highways will be blocked for 12 hours.
The 45 organisations represent Adivasis, Gorkhas and Bengalis.
The development gives a boost to the demand of separate state by the pro-talk faction of the National Democratic Front of Bodoland (NDFB), which signed a ceasefire with the central government in 2005.
In 2003, the central government signed the Bodoland Territorial Council (BTC) accord with the erstwhile Bodoland Liberation Tigers (BLT).
But that was an economic package and that is why it failed to fulfill the aspirations of the Bodo people, said another Bodo leader, Bhramon Baglari.
- Life in Assam hit by shutdowns, blockade - May 07, 2012
- Assam's Bodo tribals ramp demand for separate state - Nov 20, 2010
- Rehabilitate Bengali Muslims only after verification: Bodo groups - Aug 18, 2012
- 'Sangma not representative of tribals' - Jul 12, 2012
- Pro-talk Bodo group to take part in local elections - Jan 29, 2010
- NDFB offers unilateral ceasefire for peace talks - Jan 05, 2011
- Tribal outfit continues murderous rampage in Assam, toll 23 (Second Lead) - Nov 10, 2010
- Army moves to seize illegal arms in Kokrajhar - Sep 01, 2012
- Tribal outfit strikes again, Assam death toll is 22 (Lead) - Nov 09, 2010
- Security Forces launch all out operation to nab Bodo militants in Assam - Nov 13, 2010
- NDFB owns up as Assam attack toll mounts to 20 - Nov 09, 2010
- Assam violence: Army stages flag march, Chirang district tense (Lead) - Jul 25, 2012
- Three killed in Assam shootout - Jan 03, 2010
- Bodo militant faction warns against staged shootouts - May 31, 2012
- Telengana storm hits Assam, separate statehood demands get strident - Dec 11, 2009
Tags: action committee, aspirations, assam, blt, bodoland, ceasefire, central government, demonstrations, economic package, erstwhile, faction, guwahati, liberation tigers, national democratic front, national highways, organisations, territorial council, tribal communities