Bodies of temple stampede victims identifiedAugust 5th, 2008 - 12:29 am ICT by IANS
Shimla, Aug 4 (IANS) The bodies of all the 145 stampede victims at the Naina Devi temple in Himachal Pradesh have been identified. The bodies have been taken to the civil hospital at Anandpur Sahib in Punjab.
Chief Medical Officer of the hospital Ashok Sharma told IANS that 118 bodies were identified on the day of tragedy and rest were identified Monday.
Meanwhile, a senior police official told IANS that at the time of the tragedy, more than 50,000 devotees were standing on the route to the shrine.
The police had set up 10 barricades on the one-km track to the manage the crowd.
Only four police personnel were posted at the barricade where the stampede occurred against the required strength of 60.
He said it was also decided during the drill before the beginning of the fair that each barricade should hold only 200 devotees and they would be allowed to move up after getting clearance from the next barricade.
But at the time of the tragedy, more than 1,500 devotees were waiting for their turn to move towards the shrine.
Moreover, no meeting was held between police officials of Punjab and Himachal Pradesh before the beginning of the fair in order to manage the crowds.
Most of the devotees visiting the shrine are from Punjab.
- 'Speed up ropeway construction between shrines' - May 01, 2010
- Hindu and Sikh shrines on Punjab-HP border to be linked - Jul 18, 2012
- Himachal government begins probe into temple stampede - Aug 05, 2008
- Ropeway to link Sikh, Hindu temple towns in Punjab, Himachal - Jun 28, 2012
- Toll in Himachal hill shrine stampede mounts to 145 (Fourth Lead) - Aug 03, 2008
- Doctors struggle with rush of Himachal stampede victims - Aug 04, 2008
- Stampede deaths fail to dampen spirit of devotees (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- How to stop stampedes: Lessons for India - Nov 23, 2011
- Centre violating federal spirit: Badal - Jul 26, 2012
- Stampedes at religious places in over a decade - Nov 08, 2011
- Himachal, Punjab sign pact on Naina Devi ropeway - Jul 26, 2012
- 24 pilgrims killed in Punjab road accident (Lead) - Mar 31, 2009
- Over 60 dead in Sabarimala stampede (Third Lead) - Jan 15, 2011
- Helpless screams, tears as Himachal stampede victims are identified (Lead) - Aug 04, 2008
- Devotees throng Himachal temples with onset of Shravan - Jul 20, 2012