Boat carrying policemen capsizes, several missingJune 29th, 2008 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, June 29 (IANS) A boat carrying at least 64 policemen of Andhra Pradesh’s special operations group (SOG) engaged to combat Maoist guerrillas capsized Sunday in a river in Orissa’s Malkangiri district, an official said. “Maoists opened fire on them when they were travelling in a motor boat in a river near Chitrakonda and the policemen retaliated (by firing back),” Pradeep Kapoor, state inspector general of police (operations), told IANS.
But the boat in which the policemen were travelling capsized, he said.
Nine of the security personnel swam to safety and the others are missing, he said. A search is on for them.
The policemen from Andhra Pradesh were carrying out search operation with the Orissa police for Maoist guerrillas.
- One dead, five missing as boat capsizes in Orissa - Dec 04, 2009
- Maoists set conditions for Orissa collector's release (Third Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Bihar boat capsize toll rises to 21 - Sep 11, 2012
- Maoists abduct district collector in Orissa, demand halt of Operation Green Hunt - Feb 17, 2011
- Maoists kill three policemen in Orissa (Second Lead) - Mar 24, 2010
- Maoists kill BJP worker in Orissa - Sep 03, 2011
- Maoists abduct collector, Orissa halts operations (Roundup) - Feb 17, 2011
- Woman Maoist killed in Orissa gun fight (Lead) - Apr 24, 2011
- Maoists abduct collector, Orissa agrees to talks (Intro Roundup) - Feb 17, 2011
- 133 held with 3,600 kg of marijuana - Mar 03, 2011
- Maoists abduct district collector in Orissa (Second Lead) - Feb 17, 2011
- Engineer freed, Orissa awaits news on collector (Second Lead) - Feb 23, 2011
- Tamil Nadu boat capsize kills 13 (Lead) - Dec 25, 2011
- Naveen Patnaik urges Maoists to release abducted collector - Feb 17, 2011
- Collector of Maoist strong hold Orissa district missing - Feb 17, 2011