Boat carrying over 100 people sinks off Malaysian coastSeptember 30th, 2008 - 12:00 pm ICT by IANS
Kuala Lumpur, Sep 30 (Xinhua) At least six people were killed as a boat carrying more than 100 people sank off the coast of a port near Kuala Lumpur Tuesday morning, media reports said. The vessel, believed to be a barter trade boat, sank off the coast near Klang, a sea port located southwest of the Malaysian capital Kuala Lumpur, The Star reported.
Rescuers had so far pulled out 107 survivors and six bodies, and were trying to ascertain the actual number of passengers and crewmen on board before the mishap, it said.
Police suspect that the people aboard the boat were all illegal immigrants and boat was being used to smuggle Indonesians going home for the Hari Raya celebrations.
Selangor State police said the boat capsized perhaps due to overloading and a search for more survivors was under way, the newspaper said.
An investigation into the cause of the incident has been started.
Port Klang is one of the busiest ports in the country and it is located some 40 km southeast of Kuala Lumpur.
- Toll in Iranian boat tragedy rises to 17 (Lead) - Jan 23, 2012
- 15 missing after boat capsizes in Malaysia - Jun 23, 2010
- Four Indians missing in Malaysia boat capsize - Jan 14, 2011
- 130 killed in Congo boat accident - Jul 29, 2010
- Hundreds missing after migrant boat sinks near Italian island, 50 rescued - Apr 06, 2011
- Four women die as boat capsizes in Assam - Apr 24, 2012
- 10 Indonesian migrants killed as boat sinks offshore Malaysia (Lead) - Sep 30, 2008
- Police nab officials of sunken ship - Aug 06, 2011
- Cargo ship sinks off Mumbai, probe ordered (Third Lead) - Aug 04, 2011
- 27 bodies found after Tanzania ferry capsizes - Jul 19, 2012
- 50 drown in Comoros boat accident - Aug 09, 2011
- 16 die as Iranian boat sinks - Jan 22, 2012
- Sunken ship's officials held, released on bail (Lead) - Aug 06, 2011
- Ship's sinking: Captain refused to coordinate evacuation (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Four fishing boats sink off Maharashtra town, 18 missing - Sep 03, 2011