BMW launches initiative to help create sustainable citiesAugust 3rd, 2011 - 4:35 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 3 (IANS) German automobile major BMW Wednesday said it will start an unique initiative in Mumbai and cities around the world to address the problems arising out of increasing population and inadequate facilities and come up with solutions to create sustainable metros.
The BMW-Guggenheim initiative is designed as a mobile laboratory, which will explore new ideas and help in the creation of solutions to make city life easier.
“We wanted one venue of the first cycle of the lab to be in Asia and after careful deliberation, we selected Mumbai. A vibrant, diverse city, it is the most populous city in India and the world,” said Richard Armstrong, director of Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum which will conduct the research with the automobile major.
“It will be an endlessly rewarding place to explore and create dialogue around a range of urban issues,” he added.
The six-year project aims to cover nine major cities worldwide on a mobile lab which will travel three cities in phases. The first phase will cover New York, Berlin and Mumbai.
“The theme for cycle 1 is confronting comfort. Will explore how urban environments can be made more responsive to people’s needs, how people can feel at ease in an urban environment,” BMW said in a statement.
- Germany to help India overcome urbanisation challenges - Sep 23, 2011
- Government to launch the second JNNURM soon: Nath - Sep 07, 2011
- EU Commission and industries join to build 'Internet of the Future' - May 03, 2011
- Cycling enthusiasts rejoice, dedicated cycle lanes coming up (Postcard from Bangalore) - Nov 12, 2011
- Real estate meet to focus on urban management in India - Sep 22, 2010
- Cycling to work? Growing movement to tackle mobility crisis (Feature) - Mar 25, 2012
- India should ensure investment safety: German envoy (Interview) - Aug 12, 2012
- Pact for Mahindra World City at Dholera in Gujarat - Jan 12, 2011
- Sustainable townships idea yet to impress private sector: experts - Sep 25, 2010
- B-wood remembers first man on moon - Aug 26, 2012
- Urban renewal mission's allocation to rise - Jul 03, 2012
- UP goes all out for Metro in major cities - Mar 27, 2012
- Indo-German urban fair in Bangalore from Friday - Jun 19, 2012
- Exhibitions light up eighth edition of India-Africa conclave - Mar 21, 2012
- Highlights of President Patil's speech - Mar 12, 2012
Tags: careful deliberation, cities around the world, cycle 1, diverse city, german automobile, guggenheim museum, inadequate facilities, major cities, mobile lab, mobile laboratory, mumbai, New Delhi, populous city, rewarding place, richard armstrong, sustainable cities, three cities, urban environment, urban environments, urban issues