BMW hit-and-run convict Rajeev Gupta out on bailSeptember 30th, 2008 - 7:50 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 30 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Tuesday granted bail to Rajeev Gupta, a businessman convicted in the 1999 BMW hit-and-run case.Justice Kailash Gambhir suspended Gupta’s sentence till the time his appeal is heard and granted bail to him.
Gupta had argued that the lower court had failed to prove his role in the accident that took place in Lodhi Road here in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999 and killed six people.
The city court earlier this month sentenced to five years of rigorous imprisonment main accused Sanjeev Nanda, grandson of former navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda.
Gupta, whose son Siddharth was also in the car, was sentenced to one year in jail along with a fine of Rs.10,000 for destroying evidence.
His two domestic helps Bhola Nath and Shyam Singh were held guilty of destroying evidence by washing the blood stains from the car after the accident, and were sentenced to six months in jail and fined Rs.100 each.
All three were given bail soon after the ruling on a surety of Rs.10,000 each.
This was one of the first instances that a court convicted the accused in a hit-and-run case under Section 304 (2) (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). In most cases, the conviction is under Section 304 (1) - causing death by rash and negligent act - in which the maximum sentence is two years in jail.
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- BMW hit-and-run convict Rajeev Gupta files appeal - Sep 16, 2008
- Notice to police over hit-and-run convict's appeal - Sep 17, 2008
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Alistair Pereira surrenders in hit and run case - Jan 16, 2012
- Nanda's friend contests his BMW conviction in apex court - Jul 24, 2009
- Three year jail for Mumbai hit-and-run convict: Apex court (Third Lead) - Jan 12, 2012
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009
- Actor John Abraham detained - Mar 09, 2012
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- Mumbai hit-and-run: Alistair Pereira sent to jail - Jan 20, 2012