BMW hit-and-run convict Rajeev Gupta files appealSeptember 16th, 2008 - 11:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 16 (IANS) Rajeev Gupta, a businessman convicted in the sensational 1999 BMW hit-and-run case and awarded one year in jail by a city court, Tuesday approached the Delhi High Court challenging his conviction.Gupta, through his counsel D.C. Mathur, argued that the lower court had failed to prove his role in the incident that took place on Jan 10, 1999 in the early hours and killed six people.
The petition is likely to be heard Wednesday.
The city court earlier this month awarded five years of rigorous imprisonment to Sanjeev Nanda, grandson of former navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda.
Rajeev Gupta, whose son Siddharth Gupta was also in the car, was sentenced to one year in jail along with a fine of Rs.10,000 for destroying evidence.
His two domestic helps Bhola Nath and Shyam Singh, were held guilty of destroying evidence by washing the blood stains from the car after the accident, and were sentenced to six months in jail and fined Rs.100 each.
All three were given bail soon after the ruling on a surety of Rs.10,000 each.
This was one of the first instances that a court convicted the accused in a hit-and-run case under Section 304 (2) (culpable homicide not amounting to murder) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC). In most cases, the conviction is under Section 304 (1) - causing death by rash and negligent act - in which the maximum sentence is two years’ jail.
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- Notice to police over hit-and-run convict's appeal - Sep 17, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run convict Rajeev Gupta out on bail - Sep 30, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- SC upholds R K Anand's conviction, clears I U Khan in BMW case - Jul 29, 2009
- Delhi HC upholds conviction of Nanda in BMW hit and run case - Jul 20, 2009
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Court likely to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate Monday - Jul 19, 2009
- Alistair Pereira surrenders in hit and run case - Jan 16, 2012
- Nanda's friend contests his BMW conviction in apex court - Jul 24, 2009
- BMW case: Sanjeev Nanda moves Delhi High Court - Sep 22, 2008
- Chronology of the BMW case - Jul 20, 2009