BMW case: Nanda’s bail plea rejectedOctober 4th, 2008 - 7:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 4 (IANS) The Delhi High Court Saturday rejected the bail plea of Sanjeev Nanda, grandson of former Indian Navy chief Admiral S.M. Nanda, who was sentenced to five years’ rigorous imprisonment by a lower court for mowing down six people while driving his BMW in 1999.“I am of the view that the appellant (Nanda) does not deserve suspension of sentence during the pendency of the case,” Justice Kailash Gambhir said.
However, court listed Nanda’s appeal challenging his sentence for hearing on day-to-day basis from Dec 1 for early disposal of the case.
The court observed that “social ill of drunken driving has been successful in making a distant niche in daily lives of human since the centuries of the recorded history”.
“Alcohol has been found to play a major role as a social evil not only in India but across other countries too. Drunken driving leads to the loss of several innocent lives on the roads, mostly of them belong to poor strata of society,” the judge said.
The court Friday reserved its order after hearing arguments from the Delhi Police and the defence counsel.
Nanda had challenged his conviction and five-year prison term awarded by a trial court earlier this month.
“A drunken driver not only puts his life into risk but also puts the life of other people at stake. Such driver is not less that a live human bomb, which prepares to blast himself and other innocent people on roads,” said the judge in his order, while asking the government to review the law on drunken driving.
Senior advocate Mukul Rohatgi, appearing for Nanda, earlier said it was a simple accident case and if the case is similar to Mumbai’s Alister Anthony Pareira, who had run over seven people and was awarded three-year imprisonment then why was Nanda being discriminated against.
Sanjeev Nanda was returning from a party in Gurgaon with his friends in a BMW car in the early hours of Jan 10, 1999, when he drove over six people in south Delhi’s Lodhi Colony area.
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay - Jan 11, 2012
- Sanjeev Nanda's sentence reduced in BMW hit-and-run case (Lead) - Aug 03, 2012
- BMW case: SC frees three convicted for proof tampering - Aug 01, 2012
- BMW case: Apex court chides police for delay (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- Apex court advises Nanda on courtship, wedlock - Apr 12, 2010
- Supreme Court to hear police appeal in BMW hit-and-run case - Apr 12, 2010
- R.K. Anand offers apology - Jan 18, 2011
- Court reserves order on Nanda's bail plea for Saturday - Oct 03, 2008
- Delhi High Court reduces BMW convict's jail term to two years (Second Lead) - Jul 20, 2009
- Apex court allows Chisty to visit Pakistan (Lead) - May 10, 2012
- From one BMW hit-and-run accused to another: Congrats! - Jul 21, 2009
- High court issues notice to police on Nanda's bail plea - Sep 23, 2008
- BMW hit-and-run case: HC to decide Sanjeev Nanda's fate today - Jul 20, 2009
- Kasab claims trial court's death penalty verdict flawed (Lead) - Feb 14, 2012
- Chopper case: Romesh Sharma gets 10-year jail - Jul 23, 2012