Blueline buses to be back on Delhi roads Monday

October 15th, 2010 - 5:59 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, Oct 15 (IANS) The 1,600 Blueline buses that were taken off the roads leading up to the Commonwealth Games venues will make a comeback Monday.

“The buses will be back Monday. By that time, the Commonwealth Games officials and athletes will leave the capital. So, there is no problem in allowing them to be back on Delhi roads,” a Transport Department official told IANS.

The Blueline buses were taken off the roads Sep 26 after it was “mutually agreed” by the Transport Department and the Blueline bus owners that these buses will not ply on the Games routes, New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) and some other roads till Monday.

Meanwhile, the official indicated that the Delhi government is planning to move the Delhi High Court for the phasing out of these buses.

He said the traffic on the roads was excellent sans the Blueline buses and the government wants this to continue.

“However, the matter is complicated and serious, and also expected to take some time,” he added.

T.R. Khera of Graduate Bus Operator Association said the Blueline buses had got temporary permits to run on other or shorter routes.

However, Khera said none of the buses had to be put up in depot during the Games.

The Delhi government had earlier planned to phase out all the Blueline buses before the Commonwealth Games. The Blueline bus operators had knocked at the high court’s door, where the matter is pending.

The city has a total of 2,800 Blueline buses.

Related Stories

    Posted in Uncategorized |

    Subscribe