Blueline buses kill two childrenDecember 17th, 2008 - 10:33 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 17 (IANS) Speeding Blueline buses killed a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy in separate incidents in the Indian capital, triggering street protests, the police said Wednesday.Khushi, a student of a state-run school, was killed around 11 a.m. in New Ashok Nagar when a Blueline bus plying on route 34 between Mehrauli and Noida ran over her when she was crossing a road.
In similar circumstances, a Blueline hit the boy as he was crossing the road late Tuesday in Karol Bagh. The victim, identified as Aman, was with his father who survived, said a police officer.
The police said the driver of the bus that killed Khushi failed to apply brakes. Khushi, who has a younger sister and an older brother, died instantly.
The driver fled from the spot but a mob smashed the bus windowpanes and blocked the road. They also shouted slogans and held protests close to the New Ashok Nagar Police Station.
The girl’s mother was inconsolable. “I want my daughter back,” Suman Kumari kept screaming as she squatted beside the body. Her relatives did not allow the police to take the body demanding the driver be arrested first.
The police used batons after some protesters stoned passers-by. The road was cleared after a while.
The bus conductor was arrested. “We will arrest the driver soon,” said a police officer.
In the case of the boy too, the police slapped a case of rash and negligent driving against the driver who too escaped.
Earlier, on Tuesday morning, a Blueline bus knocked down a 45-year-old man while he was crossing the road in Mangolpuri area of northwest Delhi.
The victim was identified as Nag Raj, a caterer. Bus driver Vinod Kumar was arrested.
Last year, Bluelines buses killed 194 people. At least 94 people have lost their lives this year.
- Blueline bus mows down builder - Dec 09, 2011
- Alighting passenger run over by bus - Oct 19, 2011
- Man crushed to death between two buses - May 22, 2012
- Two killed in Delhi road accidents - Dec 21, 2010
- Cyclist crushed, six injured by bus in Delhi (Lead) - May 27, 2012
- Class 10 student dies in accident in Delhi - Jul 25, 2012
- One killed in road accident - Dec 09, 2011
- Police hunt for Blueline killer driver - May 09, 2011
- DTC bus crushes soldier in Delhi - May 07, 2012
- Three held for gang rape in south Delhi - Feb 18, 2011
- One dead in DTC bus accident (Lead) - Jul 15, 2011
- Bus mows down woman - Dec 21, 2011
- 2 killed, 16 injured in Ghaziabad accident - Mar 11, 2012
- Blueline buses get brief lease of life (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2011
- Man held for abducting, murdering minor - Jul 05, 2011