Blind Chinese activist fled under moonless skyApril 28th, 2012 - 1:23 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 28 (IANS) Blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng feigned illness for weeks and when people keeping a watch on him let their guard down, he scaled a wall and fled under a moonless sky, said a media report that gave a dramatic account of his escape from house arrest.
Washington Post reported that Chen Guangcheng pretended to be sick for weeks.
He was always under watch, so Chen patiently waited for the security apparatus to slacken and let their guard down.
And when they did Sunday, he fled.
Chen scaled a high wall under a moonless sky and fled the village where he had been confined to his home for the past year and a half, said the media report citing a version of events provided by friends.
He then travelled nearly 400 miles to Beijing.
The escape was a challenge for the 40-year-old man who has been sightless since childhood.
Though his exact whereabouts are not known, his friends say he was “safe”.
Chen’s friends recall that the blind lawyer first attempted to escape last year by digging a tunnel with his family members.
But the tunnel was found when it was just a few yards long.
After escaping, Chen released a video for Premier Wen Jiabao, reported BBC.
His video was posted on Boxun, a Chinese dissident news website hosted in the US.
The sightless dissident has demanded that Wen investigate and prosecute local officials who beat up his family members, ensure the safety of his family, and deal with corruption in general in China and punish the guilty according to the law.
- Blind Chinese dissident escapes from house arrest - Apr 27, 2012
- China seeks US apology for sheltering dissident - May 02, 2012
- Blind Chinese dissident hopes to study abroad - May 04, 2012
- Blind Chinese dissident says he is danger - May 03, 2012
- Fears of Chinese lawyer, wife being beaten over house arrest video - Feb 11, 2011
- Let Chen go to US, say Chinese experts - May 10, 2012
- China not to loosen regulations on housing market - Mar 14, 2012
- Chinese online activists charged with subversion over calls for Jasmine revolution - Feb 25, 2011
- Chinese premier visits Nepal - Jan 14, 2012
- Economic dialogue will help develop mutual trust: Wen Jiabao - Sep 27, 2011
- Dalai Lama to speak on human rights in Asia - Dec 10, 2011
- Eight US soldiers charged over death of fellow trooper - Dec 22, 2011
- Gaddafi fled on golf cart through tunnel? - Aug 26, 2011
- He fled jail only to be caught 15 years later - Dec 15, 2011
- China cracks down on Liu Xiaobo's supporters ahead of Nobel peace prize ceremony - Dec 10, 2010
Tags: activist, bbc, beijing, chen guangcheng, china, corruption, dissident news, dramatic account, exact whereabouts, family members, guard down, house arrest, lawyer, old man, premier wen jiabao, security apparatus, sky, washington post, wen jiabao