Blaze renders 130 homeless in LucknowMarch 27th, 2008 - 10:52 pm ICT by admin
Lucknow, March 27 (IANS) A big blaze that took nearly 10 hours to be brought under control left 130 people homeless and gutted as many as about 19 plywood manufacturing units here Thursday. The fire broke out Wednesday night and continued to simmer even after 10 hours until Thursday morning.
The inferno engulfed nearly 100 hutments in a neighbouring slum. No loss of human life was reported, but about some 100 families of rag pickers were rendered homeless.
Even as fire combat teams were still grappling with the Aishbagh blaze, another fire broke out in the sprawling Zee Mall here in the afternoon, leading to much commotion in Lucknow’s posh Gomti Nagar locality.
However, timely action by mall security officials helped in extinguishing the fire.
In both cases, the fire was blamed on electrical short circuit.
Lucknow district magistrate Chandra Bhanu said: “The loss caused on account of the plywood factory blaze was estimated to run into crores.”
“The presence of wood in the area set a kind of chain reaction to engulf a huge area in flames. We are giving a cash compensation of Rs.1,800 to each affected family whose shacks were destroyed in the fire.”
Bhanu, who spent almost the whole night supervising the fire fighting operations, described it as a “huge inferno”.
- Thousands left homeless as jhuggis gutted in Delhi - Jun 01, 2012
- Fire in Kolkata factory, no casualties (Lead) - Dec 20, 2011
- Major fire in co-operative office, no casualty - Apr 12, 2011
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- Hundreds homeless as shacks gutted in Delhi (Lead) - Jun 01, 2012
- People saved from burning ship off Turkey - Aug 04, 2012
- Rs.500 penalty for negligence in Pakistan factories - Sep 14, 2012
- Huge fire in plywood factory in Kanpur - Jul 31, 2010
- Massive fire in plywood factory, no casualty - Nov 20, 2010
- Two killed in Lucknow factory fire - Feb 24, 2011
- One killed as fire engulfs mall in Maharashtra - May 02, 2012
- 10 dead in China mall fire - Jul 01, 2012
- Fire rages through 'Slumdog Millionaire' actors' previous homes - Mar 05, 2011
- 25 dead in Lahore factory blaze (Lead) - Sep 12, 2012
- Karachi factory had several emergency exits, all locked - Sep 13, 2012