Blast near government office in ImphalSeptember 14th, 2012 - 12:57 am ICT by IANS
Imphal, Sep 13 (IANS) Manipur’s outlawed People’s Liberation Army (PLA) Thursday exploded a powerful bomb near the office of India’s spy agency here, police said. No one was injured in the blast.
Senior police and para-military officials rushed to the spot to take stock of the situation.
“There was an explosion near the wall of the RAW (Research and Analysis Wing) office at Lamphelpat but no one was injured in the explosion,” Imphal district police chief, Konsam Jayanta Singh told IANS.
Security has been beefed up in and around the RAW office.
Singh said a man-hunt is on to nab the perpetrators.
Claiming responsibility of the attack at the RAW office, the outlawed Revolutionary People’s Front (RPF) said its armed wing PLA carried out the explosion as it was aware of the activities of India’s external intelligence agency.
“The RAW collects information about the revolutionary movements in Manipur and sends reports to the PMO (prime minister’s office). It is also responsible for arrest of leaders of various rebel outfits in other countries,” RPF spokesman T. Leisemba said.
The RPF is fighting for the last three decades for an independent homeland for the majority Metei community in Manipur.
There are more than 20 rebel outfits in Manipur with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two injured - Sep 09, 2012
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Top PLA rebel arrested in Meghalaya - Sep 05, 2012
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Blast outside Manipur speaker's house, one killed (Second Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- One killed in Manipur blast (Lead) - Jan 22, 2012
- Grenade blast hits Congress office in poll-bound Manipur - Jan 05, 2012
- Manipur insurgents held near India-Bangladesh border - May 05, 2010
- Manipur, Tripura militants caught - Feb 17, 2012
- Manipur voters fearful after series of blasts - Jan 23, 2012
- Rebel group tells non-locals to quit Manipur - Mar 07, 2010
- Seven policemen killed in militant attack in Manipur - Apr 15, 2011