Blast in oil pipeline averted in AssamMay 14th, 2012 - 8:14 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, May 14 (IANS) A major blast in an oil pipeline was averted in Assam’s Dibrugarh district Monday when security forces detected two powerful bombs on one of the trunk lines.
Security forces found two improvised explosive devices (IEDs) planted on a pipeline of Oil India Limited (OIL) in Tengakhat area of the district. There were three oil producing wells near the pipeline.
“We have intercepted a wireless message in the morning that the suspected militants might try to carry out subversive activities in and around the district today (Monday),” a police official said.
Following the alert, police, army and personnel of the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) intensified patrolling in the district and recovered the two IEDs Monday evening.
Police suspected militants from the anti-talks faction of the ULFA (United Liberation Front of Asom) were responsible for the incident and said that the two IEDs were powerful enough to blow up a substantial portion of the pipeline.
Confirming the incident, an OIL spokesman said the two pipelines and the three oil wells near the area were shut down temporarily.
Over 25,000 km of pipelines transport oil in the tea and oil rich districts of upper Assam.
- Ulfa's bomb-making unit busted; 2 held - May 21, 2012
- Three injured in Assam grenade blast - Sep 11, 2012
- Five injured in Assam blast - Sep 06, 2012
- High security in Assam after ULFA messages intercepted - Sep 10, 2012
- Three ULFA cadres nabbed in Assam - Jun 30, 2012
- Centre alerts Assam ahead of ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 04, 2012
- 12 injured in Assam blast (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- Four injured in blast at Congress office; four BSF men killed (Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Two guerrillas killed in Assam - May 30, 2012
- Four explosives recovered, two held in Assam - Jan 25, 2012
- Grenade blast on Assam-Arunachal border - Apr 12, 2012
- Five injured in blast at Congress office; 8 BSF men killed (Intro Roundup) - Mar 15, 2011
- Woman teacher leaves home, kids to join ULFA - Feb 24, 2012
- Five anti-talk ULFA cadres nabbed - Apr 21, 2012
- Assam remains largely peaceful on ULFA raising day (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: alert police, central industrial security, dibrugarh, explosive devices, guwahati, oil india, oil pipeline, oil wells, pipelines, police official, security force, security forces, substantial portion, subversive activities, transport oil, trunk lines, ulfa, united liberation front, upper assam, wireless message