Blast in Imphal, two troopers injured (Lead)September 5th, 2012 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
Imphal, Sep 5 (IANS) Two security personnel were injured in a bomb blast triggered Wednesday by suspected militants in the Manipur capital, police said. A security alert has been sounded.
The two Assam Rifles troopers were on routine patrolling when the blast hit them in the Keisampat area, a few kilometres from the Manipur Police headquarters.
Their condition is stated to be stable, an Assam Rifles official said.
A security alert has been sounded and Keisampat has been cordoned off, Imphal district police chief Konsam Jayanta Singh told IANS.
He said preliminary reports suggested that the blast could have been triggered by an Improvised Explosive Device.
“We have found the wreckage of a scooter from the blast site,” he said.
No arrests had been made so far, he added.
Though no rebel group has claimed responsibility for the blasts, Manipur Police and intelligence officials said the blasts were carried out by rebels.
On Monday, a youth was killed in a village of Manipur’s Thoubal district after a bomb, suspected to have been planted by militants, went off at his house.
There are more than 20 rebel outfits in Manipur with demands ranging from secession to greater autonomy.
- Two security personnel injured in Imphal blast - Sep 05, 2012
- Blast in Imphal, two injured - Sep 09, 2012
- Trooper killed, 10 injured in Manipur blast - Sep 09, 2012
- Grenade hurled at Congress MP's house in Manipur, fails to explode - Sep 21, 2012
- Four serial blasts in Manipur, two injured (Lead) - Aug 15, 2012
- Blast near government office in Imphal - Sep 14, 2012
- Powerful grenade found in Manipur secretariat - Sep 12, 2012
- Blast on poll-eve creates panic in Manipur - Jan 27, 2012
- Manipur continues to crackdown on illegal immigrants - Aug 31, 2012
- Voting peaceful in Manipur (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Five killed, 20 injured in Manipur blast (Lead) - Aug 01, 2011
- Three militants killed in Manipur gun battles - Feb 06, 2010
- Six killed in Manipur, poll turnout over 70 percent (Fourth Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur polls witness violence, five killed (Third Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Manipur sees over 80 percent turnout, seven killed (Night Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
Tags: assam rifles, autonomy, blasts, bomb blast, capital police, district police, explosive device, intelligence officials, kilometres, militants, patrolling, police chief, police headquarters, rebel group, rebels, scooter, secession, security alert, security personnel, wreckage