Blast accused’s jail cannot be changed, court told

April 21st, 2010 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS  

New Delhi, April 21 (IANS) A city court was Wednesday told by the Tihar jail authorities that Indian Mujahideen terror suspect and Delhi serial blast accused Salman Ahmad’s plea for transfer to another jail cannot be accepted as it is against the jail manual.
Chief Metropolitan Magistrate (CMM) Kaveri Baweja was presented a report by jail officials, in which they opposed Ahmad’s plea.

The court deferred till April 24 the hearing on an Ahmad’s application for a change in his jail on the ground that there was a threat to his life.

Ahmad, lodged in Tihar jail number five, wants to be shifted to any other jail in the prison complex, as he claims that he has received death threats. Tihar complex has nine jails.

The jail report said inmates between 18-21 years of age have to be kept in jail number five according to the manual.

The court had directed the jail authorities to submit a report on Ahmad’s plea last week.

The examination of four doctors from All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) was also deferred till April 24.

The serial blasts in the capital Sept 13, 2008, had claimed 26 lives and left 135 other injured.

Related Stories

Posted in Uncategorized |

Subscribe