Blake pips Usain Bolt for Jamaica’s top athlete awardDecember 10th, 2011 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Kingston (Jamaica), Dec 10 (IANS/CMC) World champions Veronica Campbell-Brown and Yohan Blake were formally recognised as the toast of Jamaican track & field this year.
The two claimed the Athlete-of-the-Year awards Friday, when the Jamaica Athletics Administrative Association (JAAA) handed out the annual Golden Cleats Awards.
In an ironic twist, Blake was named the top male ahead of training partner and megastar Usain Bolt, the World Male Athlete-of-the-Year.
The selection panel of the JAAA felt Bolt did not do enough to beat Blake this time around.
Blake won the World 100 title in Daegu, South Korea, following an astonishing false start from Bolt.
The 22-year-old Blake also recorded the second fastest 200m of all-time with a time of 19.26 seconds, performances which have him now being considered as a clear and present threat to Bolt’s dominance of World sprinting over the last three years.
Bolt, winner in 2008 and 2009, took the World 200 title in Daegu and had the fastest 100 time of the year of 9.76 secs.
The highlights of Campbell-Brown’s season were her first ever 200 victory at a World Championships and a runner-up spot in the 100.
Campbell-Brown previously won the award in 2007 and last year.
- Bolt, Blake make shortlist for Athlete-of-the-Year award - Nov 05, 2011
- Bolt to lead Jamaican charge at World Championships - Aug 17, 2011
- Blake stuns Bolt for second time to win 200m - Jul 02, 2012
- Bolt sparkles but upstaged by amazing Blake - Sep 17, 2011
- Bolt, Blake to lead Caribbean challenge - Aug 22, 2012
- Olympics: Blake downplays experience factor in 100m contest - Aug 02, 2012
- James, Bolt in running for World Athlete of the Year award - Oct 04, 2011
- Powell issues warning to Bolt by winning in Hungary - Jul 31, 2011
- Bolt, Pearson named IAAF athletes of the year - Nov 13, 2011
- Campbell-Brown eyes Rio 2016 despite London disappointment - Aug 14, 2012
- Olympics: Jamaicans rejoice as Bolt wins 100m final - Aug 06, 2012
- Olympic athletics: Bolt warns Blake off 200m gold - Aug 08, 2012
- Pound's drug remark about Jamaican athletes rubbished - Aug 15, 2012
- Bolt in 200m semis at Olympic trials - Jul 01, 2012
- Forget winning 200m title, Bolt tells Blake - Aug 08, 2012
Tags: athlete of the year, bs rn, campbell brown, daegu south korea, dominance, ironic twist, jaaa, kingston jamaica, male athlete of the year, pips, selection panel, south korea, toast, track field, training partner, usain bolt, veronica campbell, world champions, world championships, yohan blake