Black Cat commandos deployed at Taj MahalNovember 27th, 2008 - 10:54 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Nov 27 (IANS) Black Cat commandos were deployed Thursday at the Taj Mahal while security was beefed up at other historical monuments here following the terror attacks in Mumbai.Besides the deployment of commandos of the National Security Guard (NSG) at the 17th century monument, barricading has also been strengthened, an IANS correspondent saw.
The Taj Mahal, built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife Mumtaz, is India’s biggest tourist draw.
The police also began checking vehicles entering Agra. A police source said that security arrangements at five star hotels and railway stations had been reviewed.
Agra, located about 200 km south of New Delhi, has been divided into five sectors. A magistrate has been put in charge of each sector to oversee security measures.
Agra’s tourism industry has expressed deep concern over the possibility of cancellations and decline in tourist traffic in the wake of Wednesday night’s terror strike in Mumbai that has so far claimed 101 lives.
- Installation of audio guide system at Taj Mahal disappoints its lovers - Apr 27, 2011
- Shah Jahan urs: Conservationists oppose free entry to Taj - Jun 28, 2011
- Shah Jahan's Urs begins at Taj Mahal - Jul 10, 2010
- Shah Jahan's 357th Urs celebrated at Taj Mahal - Jun 19, 2012
- Lovebirds to flock to Taj on V-Day - Feb 13, 2012
- No free entry to Taj for CWG visitors - Oct 03, 2010
- Banish power cuts in Taj city: Mughal descendant - Jul 10, 2010
- Taj beckons Games athletes, visitors - Oct 02, 2010
- Taj Mahal gets mudpack facial, courtesy rumoured visits by Obama, Sarkozy - Oct 27, 2010
- Bharat Ratna demanded for Bahadur Shah Zafar - Jun 29, 2011
- Taj at sunset casts spell over African, Asian ministers - Feb 20, 2011
- Security beefed up in Agra in wake of Mumbai terror attacks - Nov 29, 2008
- Human load is a growing threat to Taj Mahal - Jul 11, 2010
- Taj in real danger from dry polluted Yamuna (Lead, correcting name in last para) - Mar 05, 2011
- Carla Bruni may get to see Taj Mahal later this year - Jun 27, 2010