BJP workers greet Vajpayee as he turns 84 sans celebrationDecember 25th, 2008 - 3:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 25 (IANS) Senior leaders and workers of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) gathered at the home of former prime minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee on his 84th birthday here Thursday, though the usual bustle was missing, as Vajpayee has decided not to celebrate his birthday, as a mark of tribute to the victims of the Mumbai terror attack.BJP president Rajnath Singh, senior party leaders Sushma Swaraj and Kalraj Mishra and Janata Dal-United MP and newly appointed convener of National Democratic Alliance (NDA) Sharad Yadav were among those who went to Vajpayee’s home and greeted him, a party official told IANS.
“As a mark of tribute to the victims of terror attack in Mumbai, former prime minister A.B. Vajpayee has decided not to celebrate his birthday at his residence on December 25,” a statement issued by his office had said Monday.
BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said: “The decision has been taken by Vajpayeeji to show sympathy to the victims of Mumbai terror attack and also as a mark of protest against terror attacks not only in Mumbai but in other parts of the country as well.”
Vajpayee, who has been prime minister thrice, has not been keeping well and has been largely confined to his wheelchair following knee problems.
The BJP veteran’s first stint as prime minister in 1996 ended after 13 days when the party failed to garner enough support to prove majority.
During his second stint (1998-1999) Vajpayee had to resign after 13 months because of the withdrawal of AIADMK, a coalition partner of the then-ruling NDA.
During his third term (1999-2004), Vajpyaee headed the BJP-led NDA government that completed its full term.
- Vajpayee turns 88 amid health concerns - Dec 23, 2011
- In the name of Atal: Dhumal 'signs' in praise (Himachal Pradesh Newsletter) - May 12, 2012
- Missed Vajpayee on my yatra: Advani - Nov 20, 2011
- BJP warns of legal action over Ananth Kumar-Radia allegations - Dec 24, 2010
- BJP should always respect Vajpayee, says kin - Dec 25, 2011
- PM, BJP leaders greet Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2011
- Ananth Kumar-Radia link charges are Congress conspiracy: Yeddyurappa - Dec 24, 2010
- A quiet 85th birthday for Vajpayee, PM pays visit - Dec 25, 2009
- Vajpayee turns 87, BJP demands Bharat Ratna for him (Second Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- BJP leaders greet former PM Vajpayee on his 87th birthday - Dec 25, 2010
- Sushma Swaraj would make a dashing prime minister: Bal Thackeray - Sep 09, 2012
- Murli Manohar, Mohan Singh adjudged outstanding parliamentarians - May 18, 2010
- NDA PM should be like Vajpayee: Sushil Modi - Jun 19, 2012
- Advani sting: People upset with BJP too (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Nitish attacks Modi as Shiv Sena backs Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 19, 2012